Carbon Tiller

PMagnani

Now that all new Fish have the plastic rudder with new carbon/metal tiller ( Haven't actually seen one in person ) will we be able top purchase the tiller and it is the same connection as the classic wood tiller? I've heard the new one is much more firm and handles better.

Just wondering, I haven't seen it available anywhere.

Hi Paul, assume you are talking about the twintuene aluminum tillers (there was no carbon in them.). I say was, as the manfacturer went belly up. The Worlds boats have a single tube alumnum tiller I believe. I think Harken may be the supplier. Chris

As they say, "it's not the tiller, but the one holding it".

Furthermore, I won't be jealous anymore, not having one of those fancy ones...

The Worlds boats have a single tube alumnum tiller I believe.
Interesting... _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (if that's now the style)

89734932.jpg

Sunfish Racing Class Netherlands
2010 World's Photos

Thanks Chris - so.....is it worth it to get one? Obviously it is the one holding it...but does it help a bit too?!

The twin tube ones were super stiff but a bit heavy. But probably due to the stiffness worth getting. We better wait for reports from the Worlds on these new ones to be sure there are no issues. Chris

While on the topic of tillers.
Can anyone help me with the current lenght of a tiller.
I love my 36 inch tiller extension but am unsure of what lenth to make a replacement tiller.
My 69 fish has a 42 inch tiller ( which I love) but my 70's Sunfish Tiller is only 32 inches and so seems too short.
Thank you all,

I bought a twin tube tiller for my Christmas present and raced it for the first time last weekend. I am impressed. I liked the feel and the lack of "play" where it attaches to the rudder head. The boat felt tighter and more responsive.

The only pain is installing it. You need a socket that fits inside the access hole and then an open ended wrench to hole the nut while you used the socket wrench tighten the bolt. That said, once installed it is noticeably superior to the old bendy wood tiller handle and aluminum straps.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Whats with the change? The worlds one looks alot like the tiller LP uses on newer 420s. You think this will replace the dual tube? Interesting.

While on the topic of tillers.
Can anyone help me with the current lenght of a tiller.
I love my 36 inch tiller extension but am unsure of what lenth to make a replacement tiller.
My 69 fish has a 42 inch tiller ( which I love) but my 70's Sunfish Tiller is only 32 inches and so seems too short.
Thank you all,

The wooden tiller that came with my 2006 Sunfish is 44" long. This does not include the metal straps.
The extension that I choose is 35" and works well for me. See the following thread for some further considerations:
http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=31560

PS: Although I haven't sailed with a 32" tiller, that does seem short

I have not seen anything yet to warrant parting with the old standard oak tiller. Those aluminum wishbone tillers were much heavier and I did not perceive any difference in handling.

On the other hand, reconditioning the oak tiller due to wear does get tiresome. The aluminum tube tiller is interesting, but I will wait to see how it holds up. If the aluminum to too thin, it will bend or fold under stress.

Back