Carbon Tiller Cracking

keenbean

Hi Everyone,

My carbon tiller, as supplied by laser has been cracking on each side, has anyone else experienced this? I have put fibreglass over as a temporary repair but guess I will have to save for a Rooster one instead!

Happy lasering

the epoxy should extend its life, if its flexing a great deal you should invest in a new tiller, acme and marstrom are nice.

I have seen several of the Laser supplied carbon tillers snap (which is why I splashed out for a Rooster).

Persoanlly have never had any issues with the Rooster Tiller and extension and would recommend them highly.

I have seen several of the Laser supplied carbon tillers snap (which is why I splashed out for a Rooster).

Persoanlly have never had any issues with the Rooster Tiller and extension and would recommend them highly.

I'd also recommend the rooster tiller. I've just replaced mine a week or so ago as it cracked, but, it was 5/6 years old and had been used and abused a lot over that time. I've replaced it with another rooster tiller as I know it will last well.

£135? Has anyone found a cheaper deal anywhere!?!?!?
Cheers for the help!

Ebay.

Seriously though, if you think about it thats not that expensive really. Mine has only recently cracked (is repairable so will become a spare) and I bought it at the 2005 Nationals at Abersoch (to replace a crap one that lasted around a year, breaking at the nationals). So say I used it for 5 years, thats £27 per year.

I reckon thats pretty good value really. I sail all year round, every weekend, evenings in summer and take part in nationals, europa cups etc so my tiller took some real abuse over the last 5+ years.

I don't get why everyone buys carbon tillers for hunderds of pounds/dollars - I've always sailed with a standard metal one and it works fine. What's the difference? Is it lighter or something?

I don't get why everyone buys carbon tillers for hunderds of pounds/dollars - I've always sailed with a standard metal one and it works fine. What's the difference? Is it lighter or something?

last longer, lighter, bigger to grip, usually the right length and stiffer. I remember having to bend back the metal one way too many times and they were mostly shorter than the normal carbon extension.

We're discussing tillers, not extentions. So grip diameter is not relevent.

I still use a metal one, I never had to replace one from damage or wear and I think the current one is 8 years old and it a replacement for one lost overboard (long story). I've never had one bend, crack (except experiemental) or flex. The reason why I haven't switched to carbon is because far to many of them do fail. I custom make them to the length I require. I purchase alloy extensions and cut them to the desired length as well, again far to many of the carbon tillers smash.

We're discussing tillers, not extentions. So grip diameter is not relevent.

I still use a metal one, I never had to replace one from damage or wear and I think the current one is 8 years old and it a replacement for one lost overboard (long story). I've never had one bend, crack (except experiemental) or flex. The reason why I haven't switched to carbon is because far to many of them do fail. I custom make them to the length I require. I purchase alloy extensions and cut them to the desired length as well, again far to many of the carbon tillers smash.

Whoops.

My carbon tiller is reliable, I've had the same one since 2002 I think with no issues. It's low riding, weighs less, doesn't trip over the outhaul cleat like the metal ones I've owned.

The cleat issue with the aluminium tillers, assuming it's a metal plate fixed under the tude and not the plastic fitting can be fixed up easily by inserting a washer between the plate and the tube at the front rivet, so a small wedge is formed, which lifts the till up a fraction.

As for the weight issue, you're dealing with a 72 kg hull weight, 10 kg of spares, 8 kg in foils, a person weighing somewhere typically in 60-100kg, etc, a couple of 100g difference is going to make bugger all difference with the hull shape we've got. Different story if we had a proper planning hull, a hydrofoil set up and we were mucking around with 15kg all up for the boat like the Moths class.

A well built alumium tiller is bullet proof, whilst the carbon ones do seem to have a cracking issue. IMO, you need to finish a race to win it and the advantage of having something bullet proof in this case outways the potential small disadvantage in weight.

Back