Carbon Tiller and Extension

MaKenna

I have two sailing coaches one of them say that it would be a good idea to go for the carbon tiller and extension the other says they break really easily. I live in the Gorge with really heavy winds so there is a lot of pressure on my tiller/extension would it be a good or a bad idea to get one??

Thanks!

Carbon tillers don't break just cause you sail in strong winds. I am still on my first carbon tiller extension which must be about about 8 years old by now, maybe even more, and its still perfect. (thinking back, I was living with parents when I got it and I moved out Autumn 2001 so its approaching 10 years old)
Tillers will wear out quicker (or mine did) I am on my 4th one in the same time frame as the extension. 2 died because the rollers wore out quickly (don't get a roller carbon tiller, a metal plate only one is best). I replaced a 4/5 year old carbon tiller last year as it was starting to weaken and crack around the stock.

Sailing in the Gorge, you will want a tiller that doesn't flex, you want your steering to feel as tight as possible. The Acme Black Diamond http://www.acmecarbon.com/ACMECARBON/tiller.html has been the preferred model in the US, they just don't wear out and I can't recall seeing or hearing of one break while sailing.. There is a local dealer there that carries them http://www.westcoastsailing.net/default/boat-parts/laser/blades-tillers.html (mention the fact that Intensity is selling it for $180)

Intensity looks like they have found a source in the far east (China perhaps) to copy the Acme and cut the price - I haven't seen to comment on it, perhaps someone else on here has one and given it a good thrashing. As long as Intensity stands behind it for breakage while sailing, it might be worth a look if funds are tight.. http://www.intensitysails.com/tiandexforla.html to see it...

Carbon tiller extensions are somewhat fragile and can break, especially in un-expected death rolls and sloppy tacks (where you sit on the extension or bend it over the side as you fall out instead of letting go of it) In normal use they hold up just fine.

Thanks!
The owner of West Coast sailing is actually a really good friend of mine so I will check into that!:)

Carbon fiber is very strong, it is possible to break a carbon tiller but it will not happen from sailing in heavy wind alone, aluminum and wood are much weaker

I just bought one of those 'far east' tillers - it showed up yesterday and it's awesome. The build quality on it is amazing. I'd highly recommend it. The majority of my sailing is done in 30 +knots so I'm really picky about what goes on my boat. I can tell right off the bat that this tiller won't cause me any issues and will probably outlast the hull. I got mine from Intensity sails.

Highly recommended. I did have to grind down the top pintle on the rudder by a slight amount to fit it and I did have to drill the hole for the rudder retaining pin but it fit in the rudder slot perfect. I've heard that some fitting is required for any of the aftermarket tillers - in my case it was very easy.

i had one for one racing day... Errr a half a racing day... i snapped it right in half. it all kinda depends on how you come out of a roll tack... if you are one of those people who always have a bent tiller, then the carbon fiber is NOT the way to go... i honestly dont feel a difference. most people say its lighter like its a big deal. but really, its not. plus if youre scared of breaking it then youre going to sail cautiously which isnt good either. if you get one, make sure you keep the receipt... just in case :)

I'd agree with you for the most part. I've been running my original teak tiller since '82but it's split by the universal many times over the years and each time I chop a little more off of it and then re-install the universal.... As you can probably guess - it's gotten shorter over the years.

However, it's been reliable - and then some. If I'm out on the open ocean that's really important to me. On the other hand, the potential problems you mentioned aren't unique to the Far East tiller - they're just unique to carbon fiber.

Try as I might though, I can't really see how you can break one under 'normal' sailing conditions. Mine rides so close to the deck that pushing it down to the deck is only about an inch (at most) and it will easily flex that amount without cracking. As for lateral stress - I can't see it breaking under any of the lateral stresses that the sailboat would encounter under any conditions.

But, like I said, I got 29 years out of the original teak tiller (you should see the grooves in it from the traveller pulley!) so I'm expecting this one to never need replacing - provided I don't stress it in some non-lateral fashion.

Are you talking about the tiller or the tiller extension ? Hard to believe you snapped a tiller in a roll tack, easy to believe it was the extension...

i had one for one racing day... Errr a half a racing day... i snapped it right in half. it all kinda depends on how you come out of a roll tack... if you are one of those people who always have a bent tiller, then the carbon fiber is NOT the way to go... i honestly dont feel a difference. most people say its lighter like its a big deal. but really, its not. plus if youre scared of breaking it then youre going to sail cautiously which isnt good either. if you get one, make sure you keep the receipt... just in case :)

Well, there you go :)

Good thing you clarified that for us- I went out and looked at my tiller from every angle to try and see how it could possibly be broken ;-)

Back