Carbon or Aluminium?

ThePrincess

Everybody that I sail with has a carbon fiber tiller and extension, as do I. But, after breaking yet another and having to fix it, I am beginning to wonder if carbon is really better. Aluminum isn't noticeably heavier, and it bends instead of shattering. Thoughts?

if your racing you will prefer carbon as it gives you a stiffer tiller extension and it looks cool. i havent broken mine yet the tricky part is knowing when you are about to wipe out and making sure you let go of it in the capsize.

not trying to be a smart alec, but usually breaking carbon tiller extensions is due to some boat handling issues. Sure, you could switch to an aluminum ext and not have to worry about breaking them any more, but if possible, look into why the carbon is breaking and see if you can't clean up that area of boat handling - I'm speaking a bit from experience here, having made a bad tack and ending up sitting on the extension and snapping it. It made me change/clean up my tacking style and since then no more problems... (knock on carbon so to speak)

i used to use a aluminium one on a club boat and when switched to my own which has a carbon extention i found it better( mabe because its thicker and easyer to grab) and i aint found no problems with it so far so carbon all the way :p

One of the advantages of a carbon tiller is the flat shape. It allows the traveller blocks to tack easily without snagging on the tiller.

I use a ronstan battle stick and have never had any problems with it. My friend has an acme fatso, and I've sailed his boat before and don't notice any significant difference. When I bought the ronstan, I looked at the acme ext's, and couldn't justify the price for club racing

Only real benefit I see to the carbon, which I do have and love, is the fat shape. I find it easier to sail. Frankly, if it comes down to a carbon tiller or some other performance piece, get the other performance stuff

I have never managed to snap a carbon tiller or extension. Not sure where you are but try the Rooster sailing ones. Steve Cockerills sales pitch is to put one between 2 chairs and stand on it. The thing bends but does not break! I have gone over a few times and forgoteen to let got of the extension and thought my wrist would snap before the extention.

Another vote for the Rooster one, it is majorly strong. Also mine is quite long, (insert pun here) and the only way it could be stiff enough (another pun please) is if its made from carbon, an aluminium one would be really bendy.

Does anybody know the cost difference between the ACME and the Rooster? ...those are the two that sound most convincing

No idea on the cost difference as never seen the acme one. I can however vouch for the rooster one. I've had my carbon tiller from them since Summer 2005 and it is still going strong with no signs of it needing replacing anytime soon.

Acme is $160 (best price I've seen out there) from Intensity Sails which is where I bought mine from. I've seen the Rooster go for $220 on other sites.

I have a carbon tiller and extension and I love them both - but only because I think they look and feel cool! I cannot perceive ther is any advantage in a carbon extension beyond 'it looks/feels cool' and I am highly dubious about the benefits of a carbon tiller to all but Olympic champion's level. I have never broken a carbon or ali extension though I have broken a number of u/js, I am amazed to hear that anyone thinks the carbon one to be more fragile than the ali even allowing for the bending characteristic of Ali tube I still assumed that the carbon would be the stronger. My guess is that the 'stand between chairs' test is misleading as I bet the carbon tiller only snapped when bent round a hard point like the gunwhale.

Would I buy an aluminium one again - are you joking?? No chance!! (well not unless they come back into fashion!

i have a carbon tiller from newzealand a roller one and an tiller extension used by paul goodison. It is about picking the good carbon.
The laser carbon parts are not that good, while a black diamond tiller and marstrom tiller are really good so i think it is personal preference. Also you technique might be letting you down.

Rooster all the way, used mine this year in every possible condition, from warm weather to freezing, from 2 knots of wind to 35 knots, at the last point much swimming involved, and i never lett go of my extension. Already race or train with it every weekend, not even the slightest sign of wear.

I just bought a "laser brand" carbon tiller and instead of a cleat for the rudder tie down it has a nylon bullseye. Has anyone used this bullseye? If so, what is a good way to tie off the rudder that let's me release it easily?

has anyone here got a new extension and not reduced its length? i find it a tad long and its a right pain having to reduce it.

Ive had a Laser 'gorilla' carbon tiller that came with the boat, but i find it sags down in the rudder stock and therefore snags on the cleat for the traveller, ive generally got used to compensating for this but has anyone got any suggestions for solving the problem?

Hi Quagers,

This is notmally 1 of 3 things:

1) The rudder pintles on the boat are worn, easily fixed by wither turning them over or adding a small washer to the pin on the rudder.

2) The top of the rudder stock being out of shape and allowing too much slop whcih lets the tiller drop

3) The end of the tiller that goes in to the stock is worn

Not sure what you can do about 2 or 3 aside from try to carefully reshape the top of the rudder stock.

Regards,

Paul

Back