Carbon Fiber Hull

AndyDove21

Maybe this has been discussed, but I've searched all over and can find no record, but has anybody produced a carbon fibre hull? I've been involved with Formula 1 engineering for some years now, and the technology those guys invest in producing incredibly light, and yet extremely stiff structures is amazing.

With 185,000+ laser's out there, surely someone with money to burn has made a mould, layed it up with pre-pregnated CRP, cooked in the autoclave, and tried it out? Not exactly class legal, but must be unbelievably light.

/Andy

BTW - Anybody know the advanced search term on this forum. If I want to search for 'new lasers', whats the term - is it new&laser, "new laser", new+laser etc. Can't get it to work for me...

That does look like a hoot (!). That picture of the girl carrying the entire hull one handed is impressive, but the price reflects that. $7500 is a little steep, but if they had the sort of mass production that Laser manufacturers enjoy, the price would come down a lot I think.

So - no one off Laser CRP hulls then?

Thye issue one such hull at every world championship and whoever gets lucky sails it. One fellow named Robert seems to get it every time.

gouvernail said:
...One fellow named Robert seems to get it every time
Hi `gouv´,
there is a fellow of Robert, that has been faster than him :) His prename is Ben ;)

To the topic of this thread, my opinion is: A carbon hull for the Laser is not simple to make - reason: the whole builders-manual would have to be changed.

Ciao
LooserLu

P.S.: "Kiel-week" did start just a few hours ago. It's a small sailing event for the globe, but the biggest here (not so famous like the Laser Easterbunny race at Lake Travis of course, I guess, but,) only 2000 sailingboats that race at Kiel and a few 3,5 Mio spectators perhaps come for a short look at the bay of Kiel. :)
And, dam, I can't remember, they is another small sports event here... something with a ball, made out of leather....

gouvernail said:
Thye issue one such hull at every world championship and whoever gets lucky sails it. One fellow named Robert seems to get it every time.

Robert Schiedt no longer sails Lasers, so you goin to have to find another multi-world champ to pick on grovernail:D

If we are talking about carbon hulls, i sugest a hull change (i know i am crazy) why not recess the deck cleats into the hull so that they dont tear things up/or be uncomfortable.its a thought

slalomskier said:
If we are talking about carbon hulls, i sugest a hull change (i know i am crazy) why not recess the deck cleats into the hull so that they dont tear things up/or be uncomfortable.its a thought

well the cleats are entirly optional theres nothing stopping you taking them off, i don't have anyon my laser as i feel they get in the way and are redundent when racing, a Carbon lasr would be a good idea as a one off but(though it would never happen) i wouldn't want the class to move towards a development class,the boats great as it is if you want a carbon development boat maybe you should try a foiling moth they are amzing boats.

perhaps you could use a pencil to draw black lines on your hull and you could say it has carbon carefully applied in the warious directions of the most stress.

Back