Capsizing, care of mast and a million other questions to follow

Steve Brockwell

Hello again. I have 2 questions or rather areas that I am concerned about with my Capri.

1. Is it easy enough for a lone sailor to right the Capri after capsizing? I've been thinking of a way to put a sealed hatch cover on to help keep the cuddy dry and watertight ... possibly helping to keep afloat after a capsize.

2. The bottom of my mast has a curled area where the base of the mast has been hit/pushed/pressed against things over the years (I'm guessing here) and the mounting bolt hole is expanding. Has anyone put a sleeve/plug/anything inside the mast to help reinforce the bolt hole/base of the mast to prevent damage? I have practiced stepping the mast alone as most of my sailing will be that way, and the little taps that the mast does on the ground and the boat would seem to cause further deformation of the mast.

In a way they are related. I think that if the mast base has a sleeve or plug or whatever in it to reinforce the base and prevent deformation that it would last longer and cause less vibration on the boat. With the mast sealed then it would help act as a float and not an anchor when the boat is capsized.

Remember, I'm a rookie so this is pretty much all new to me.

Steve Brockwell
Elgin, OK

... no hurricanes here yet ....

Seal Mast

Steve: If the Capri 14.2 doesn't turtle, and if you first uncleat the main and jib, then reaching up from the water and pulling down on the centerboard will right the boat OK. Need to then grab the transom and crawl aboard over the transom before it blows away. If the mast is not sealed at the top (needs a foam plug below the halyard turning block which you should check before sailing again)the boat likely will turtle (i.e. end completly upside down and then you cannot reach the centerboard while in the water). (Wear a life preserver!)

And using a crutch which you can temproarily attach to the transom when rigging/derigging will help keep the mast from "tapping" (usually attached into the gudgeons where the rudder attaches). And using the jib halyard through a turning block on the front of your trailer, if you tie it off after raising by hand will hold the mast while you get out of the boat and attach the forestay, and likewise reversing process while derigging after sailing and back on the trailer.

And yes you ought to somehow reinforce the base of the mast where the bolt goes through (a friend of mine with a C22 got is welded by an Aluminum welder).

Dick K.

Thanks. Looks like my first major task is to seal the mast and then get ready for capsize drills. I'll look into fixing the base of the mast also.

Steve Brockwell

Back