Capsizing a 14.2

Steve_Berry

How easy is it to right a capsized 14.2?

How easy is it to right a turtled 14.2?

Can one person do it?

At what age/weight would you feel comfortable letting a child/teenager sail the 14.2 realizing they need to be capable of righting the boat should it go over?

Does the boat fill with water or does it ride high in the water when capsized on it's side?

This doesn't seem like it will be as easy as a sunfish.

Thanks,

S

Capsizing

It's easy to right a Capri 14.2 if you scramble out onto the centerboard before it turtles. I once watched a father and son do just that and they were up and back in the boat without even getting wet! But if it turtles you're going to ned some help getting it back up.

If you go to the home page of this site and click on "FAQ", then click on "turtling" there's a long article on the subject.

I would let experienced teens sail the Capri 14.2 but not anyone under about 12 or 13. The boat is overcanvassed, and it takes some serious weight on the rail to hold it down in a breeze.

Oh, and it does ride high in the water while lying on it's side. Once back upright, the water runs right out of the self-bailing cockpit.

My son's started to doublehand the boat together when they were 12 but they have a bit of experience sailing and racing. If you're concerned about your kids being able to rescue the boat, have them capsize the boat and practice recovering it (when the water is warm enough). It will be good for both of you, but do it in a very controlled place for safety.

About the boat staying dry, it has alot of buoyancy and is also one of the reasons it can turtle quickly. As Ed pointed out the boat drains quickly as long as the cuddy hatch is closed and works.

My advise is don't capsize :rolleyes: as the boat is much more fun and fast sailing on its bottom:D .

Great boats that have given me many good times.

And please always wear a pfd when sailing msall boats, its good for you and sends the right message to the young. Do your kids already sail?

What boat would you recommend?

Thanks for your note, Richard.

My two young kids don't sail yet, they are under 9 years. If I lived on a calm lake I would acquire something akin to a sunfish. But we don't. We will use this on an ocean bay in Maine where swells, chop and gusty winds are frequent and the water is too cold to get wet. This necessitates a heavier boat, and a drier boat for daysailing. The kids will have to learn with me till they weigh enough and have enough skill to sail and right the boat should it capsize. We will have a mast buoy. A 15' long is all we want (or can afford). And, it needs a centerboard because the tide rises and falls over 10' a day and there are rocks everywhere along the shore where we plan to sail.

What boat would you recommend?

Expo 14.2?
Hunter 140?
Hunter 14.6?
something else?

capsizing

I was sailing in Maine last summer and I would not relish capsizing any boat in that cold water you folks have up there. Unfortunately, just about any centerboard boat can capsize, especially in the conditions you mentioned.
I would recomend buying some version of a small keel boat or find a inland lake to sail on where you are less prone to capsize. Wish you the best.

Thats a tough one. I live in San Diego and usually sail on the calm waters of Mission Bay in sub 11 knots. I have sailed my 14.2 on the ocean when its chopped up but not too windy. If you get the C14.2, get one with a roller furling jib and maybe add a reef or two to the main. I think the boat is a handful above 13-15 knots true wind but thats with full canvas as I don't have a roller or reefs.

I have no experience sailing in your home waters. How much wind and how much chop?

Lightnings like breeze but they're 19'.

I've raced Lightnings in the ocean and in 30 knots in San Francisco bay and thats a real chore, but that boat will do it.

Is there a sailing club or such that already sails small boats in that area that could point you to the right boat? I know the guys that sail Vangard 15 sail in some nasty stuff but not much of a family boat. How about a C16.5? More stable, larger cockpit, still swing cb, a little higher freeboard but 16' boat. They have a Yahoo group if you think that sounds posible.

Also sailinganarchy.com has a couple of forums, general and dinghy that might help you, lots of knowledge lurking the forums but they can be a tough crowd.

Sorry I can't pin this one down yet.:confused:

I'll keep thinking on this one .

Back