Capri Omega Mast Hosting

emeded

Hi Guys,
I just bought Capri Omega built in 1978. Great boat, and I really love it. However, before I hit a lake, I need to do some cleanup and repairs.
However, I am confused with the process how to host a mast. I attached pics of my foot of the mast and a plate that is screwed on the flor of my boat. I have pin that goes in the plate, but I have a feeling that I am missing something on foot of my mast. Is this right? Is my mast foot broken? Could anybody help me with this?

Thank you in advance

Erni

DSC01121.JPG

DSC01122.JPG

Hey Erni,
Although I am unfamiliar with your model boat, I suspect your mast is fine and so is the plate on your cockpit floor. Even though there is no complete hole to lock the pin into the bottom of the mast, once the shrouds and forestay are attached, the mast bottom should stay seated in the bracket. If after you get it hoisted and fastened, you can still lift it off the bracket, one or both of the shrouds needs to be tightened, but not to the point where all slop is gone.

And judging from the wear/discolorations, it looks like the pin goes in the middle of the bracket. As to which notch, I'm not positive. It looks like the mast needs to be turned 180 degrees and the aft notch fits over the pin for stepping the mast. Then the mast is lifted onto the middle notch after it's erect and before the forestay is attached.

Of course, I'm guessing on most of this - you get what you pay for! ;)

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will drop by.

Jim

Thanks Jim. That is what I thought. It is very hard to find any info on Capri Omega. I really like this boat and I am looking forward to some fun sailing.
I hope some other Omega owners will drop by to verify what you already said.

Thanks

Erni

Back