Capri OMEGA 14: Need information for this model

G

I acquired what I thought was a Capri 14, but now I have discovered that she is a Capri Omega 14 from the early 80s. She is in a dirty condition, and needs some work to get her seaworthy. So far, she needs a good cleaning, some fiberglass patchwork, a new tiller and extension, some lines, and whatever else comes along. Meanwhile, I have been trying to research this boat on the internet, and so far I have litte results. I am hoping that this forum may provide me with experience, strength and hope, as I tackle nursing this boat of mine back to health. If you have any knowledge or experience with this Capri Omega 14 type, then please let me know.

The Capri Omega 14 is similar to the Capri 14, but has full-length cockpit.

So far, www.capri14.org and this website: http://www.rachelnation.com/kitttykittty/ are the only resources I have found regarding my boat type.

Thanks for your responses!

Shaun Hoffmann
[email protected]

Omega

I have a 1973 Omega, and I got it up and running April 2003, it is a nice boat. Let me know what you need.

I found this reference before, and he really helped me:

Omega 14
Richard Shoemaker
115 Brush Street
Ukiah, CA 95482
[email protected]

I am interested in getting a forum going for Omega 14.
What area are you in?

mike wilson
[email protected]

Capri Omega 14 Repair status

I am glad to see you are a fellow Omega 14 owner!

So far, I have found little information on the web regarding the Capri Omega 14. Second, I am a begginer with sailboats.

The resources I have utilized thus far are:

1. Here at www.capri14.org

2. http://www.rachelnation.com/kitttykittty/ . She and I have been emailing back and forth.

3. www.inlandsailing.com - Who are a ail shop here in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area on Lake Ray Hubbard. They say they are familiar withthe boat, and they have ordered me an Omega manual. Also, I plan to take the boat there to find out how much new line rope) I need.

So far my repairs have been as follows:

1. Spent $10 at the car wach for an initial spray down. The boat had been parked in my aunt's driveway for about a year. She had not laid a finger on it that entire tirme. Fortuantely, I believe, she sold it to me for $300 with an excellent trailor and the sails are in good shape.

2. Found out my father owns a PowerWasher which retail for about $160, so I lucked out and trailored the boat to his driveway and cleaned, cleaned , cleaned. Primarily used a polishing compound to clean the boat.

3. After spending 5 hours cleaning, I attempted to partially rig the boat to assess the damage and make an outline of repairs to be made.

4. Bought the book "The Handbook of Sailing" by Bob Bond for $29.95 at Barnes and Noble. This book is a huge resource and very comprehensive with great illustrations.

5. Next, I strippedthe fiberglass from the centerboard and rudder. I have accompished a huge task this past weekend by re fiberglassing the boards. Extremely messy, but the job is acomplished well with the help of two people. Allowed two days of drying time to trust that the resin was compoletely dry. It is important to get the hardenr mixed with the resn just right.

6. Replaced Tiller with a Post Hole digger handle found at Lowe's store for about $7. This fit perfectly and after a good sanding and some varnish it looks handsome for the Capri in my opinion. Thank you for the suggestion Rachel!

7. I used my fathers power sander to sand the fiberglass so that it is smooth on the centerboard and rudder. .

8. Then, tonight I painted the one side of the rudder and centerboard Semi-gloss white with paint I bought from the local West Marine store. I used the storebrand, but still spent $28 on paint and $10 on brushes. . I am very proud of the results and look forward to completing the job.

9. I plan to buy new lines this weekend, and then maybe give the boat a shot on the water at Lake Ray Hubbard with a buddy I know who sails a catamaran. Probably will do this Sunday after church weather permitting. Plus, I bought Tell Tails but not sure how to install them on the boat. I also want to find a decent burgee to put on the mast.

So, here is my question does anyone know how much line is needed to completely rig the boat?

Also, last I have named the boat Sacred Delight. I chose this name because I have been inspired by Max Lucado's book Applause from Heavern chapter one.

I am eagely looking for feed back from anyone willing to share their experience and I llok forward to the maiden voyage!

Sincerely,

Shaun

how do you know what year the Capri Omega 14 is?

Mine has a hull number of 766, but I don't know what year the boat was made. any suggestions?

Shaun

Capri Omega 14 - telltales

Shaun -

I, too, own an older Capri Omega 14. She's fun, fast, and a handful in a stiff breeze!

I mounted red and green nylon Airflow telltales on the mainsail and the jib, which give me a great reference point when trimming the sails.

As far as a burgee or windvane is concerned, I recommend dropping $20 on Davis Wind-Tels instead. The Wind-Tels wrap around the side stays, and you can position them as far up or down as you like. The advantage here is they are much closer to the deck ... hence you won't get a sore neck from constantly looking at the masthead!

You can get both the Airflow telltales and the Davis Wind-Tels from West Marine.

I replaced all the standing rigging and all the running rigging at The Sailboat Shop, located in Austin, TX (http://www.fmp.com/sailboat/). They are a great resource for trailer sailors.

- Greg 8)

Omega 14

It is good to see all the Omega 14 owners poping up. I have Hull number 1960 a 1980 Omga 14 named Ohana, home ported in Dana Point California.

On question of the amount of line it varies with application. My boat has 3 distinctly different sized lines. I will have to check my notes and post the answer later.

the length of my main sheet is 35'. That is a touch too long. I think 30-32 feet would be sufficient. I tried 25 feet but it was not enough to run with the main fully let out. I have noticed that most owners seem to have wood keels and rudders covered in fiberglass. My keel and rudder are fiberglass witha small wood core like those commonly seen on the Capri 14.2. I have included a photo of my boat under sail in Dana Point Harbor.

Omega 14

I just redid my rudder and keel, and I covered mahogony with epoxy, and this has been an awesome combination. I often launch from the beach, and so when I land on the beach, the keel and rudder sometimes hits before I expect them to. I have line, and not shock cord on the keel, and so it can be a hard hit. It sounds awfu when it happens, but if I look at the edge of the keel or rudder, there is nearly no wear at all, and I expect to see terrible damage. I have been very impressed with how well it has been wearing.

THE FOLLOWING IS A COPY OF OTHER POSTINGS RELATED TO THE OMEGA 14.

I am sailing an Omega 14 which is very losely rigged at the shrouds. I am seeing about 4-6 inches of side to side play in the mast. (the Omega is the predessesor of the Capri) what kind of side to side movement are you seeing in the Capri 14.2s?

Thanks

Mast play

That amount of play is fine if you plan to race, in fact many racers in our fleet have it even looser than that. (Mine is about 8". This helps open up the slot between the main and jib. Keep in mind we race on fairly flat water. A very loose rig in rough water is NOT a good idea.)

But if you don't plan to race, that's way too loose. Bar tight, however, isn't appropriate either. I'd say for cruising go with 2-3 inches of slack.

PS - Anyone else have an opinion on this?

Re: Easy trick for stepping the mast

All -

I rig & sail my Capri Omega 14 single-handed, and I've developed a neat trick to step the mast (I'm sure I'm not the first to figure this out ) ...

1) Keep boat on trailer.

2) Attach shrouds to chainplates on either side.

3) Seat mast foot in deck bracket. The masthead should now be a foot or so above the transom (back of the boat).

4) Here's the trick: Unroll a decent amount of strap/rope from the trailer winch. Using a small caribiner, link the forestay to the hook on the trailer winch strap/rope. Using the winch, hoist the mast until its nearly vertical ... then slide the pin through the chainplate and VOILA! Mast is stepped without alot of sweating and cursing!

5) When I get ready to unstep the mast, I just reverse the procedure.

- Greg

Rigging confidence???

I have searched and searched to find a list of parts and/or instructions as to how to re-assemble an Omega 14. I recently aquired the craft and am looking forward to putting her in the water. The craft is like new except most of the hardware had been removed and placed in a tupperware container. Would anyone have the original manual that would assist in confirming the puzzle?

Thank you,
Dennis

Re: Capri Omega 14 rigging

Hiya Dennis -

You'll like your Omega once you get it assembled. Attached (I hope) is a diagram that I made showing how the standing and running rigging works on an Omega (even though the pic is of a Capri 14.2).

Hope this helps ... if you have specific questions, fire away (having been once where you are now).

- Greg Gibbons :)-)

Attachments

• capri14_rigging.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 712
Rigging

Thanks Greg for the nice drawing, really very helpful for the basic outline. One detail that is set up differently on my omega is the main sheet is doubled on the front. Your is shown as reefed between the back of the boom to the traveller. My boats arrangement allows for less line length, but I think the way you have it shown is probably less mess at the controls - I am thinking of trying the arrangement you have shown. I was wondering if any have experienced both reefing arrangements and have any comments.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: rigging

Mike -

Sorry ... I've only used the configuration shown in the diagram.

The block I use at the rear of the boom has a becket. I tie the mainsheet off to the becket with a bowline, run it down through the block on the traveller, back up through the block on the rear of the boom, over to the block at the boom midpoint, and then down through the hexarachet. Works for me!

I've never had a problem with this, albeit the irritant that you mentioned: excess mainsheet on the deck (usually compounded by excess jib sheet on the deck ... NOTE: having the jibsheet one color ond the mainsheet a different color is a good thing!).

I also have gone to using a clew hook instead of an adustable outhaul (lazy captain syndrome).

- Greg Gibbons :)-)

Rigging the main

I bet you get a tighter mainsail than I do on upwind, because the reef point has more leverage out farther on the boom. I would also imagine that I can let my main out faster on gusts etc.

Mike

Omega 14

Dennis you said you have hull 1962, what are your rudder and keel made of? I am currious because most of the boats I have seen have wood rudders and keels. My hull is 1960 and has a fiberglass keel and rudder.

Art Grant
Dana Point

Found this old thread searching Google. I'm new to the class and happen to live in Austin, TX. I'm planning on taking the old girl up to the sailboat shop that is referred to by everyone within driving distance.

If anyone has any kind of an owner's manual or parts list for the Capri Omega, I'd really appreciate it. I'm missing the jib sheet cleats for both port and starboard, and need to replace the centerboard and tiller.
We'll probably redo all the lines as well as the stays too. She'd been sitting out in the weather for quite some time.
We also need the hiking straps, anybody have any extras??
Happy to be part of the club.:D

Joseph

Rigging confidence???

I have searched and searched to find a list of parts and/or instructions as to how to re-assemble an Omega 14. I recently aquired the craft and am looking forward to putting her in the water. The craft is like new except most of the hardware had been removed and placed in a tupperware container. Would anyone have the original manual that would assist in confirming the puzzle?

Thank you,
Dennis
Hello Dennis,
Just surfing Omega 14 forums and found this thread - see that you have H/N 1962. I have H/N 1963! How is the boat holding up? In particular any issues with the centerboard gasket??
Ken / Denver CO

Rigging confidence???

Thank you,
Dennis
Hello Dennis,
Just surfing Omega 14 forums and found this thread - see that you have H/N 1962. I have H/N 1963! How is the boat holding up? In particular any issues with the centerboard gasket??
Ken / Denver CO

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread but I have just begun a restoration on H/N 455. I have been in contact with Catalina factory support and they were able to tell me it was built in 1970. It is pretty rough. It was given to me from someone that was not using it and amassed quite a bit of sun damage and looks worn. I have opted to spend a moderate amount to bring it back into shape. Right now it is upside down on saw horses and sanded with 80 grit. I am waiting on paint from TheBottomPaintStore.com. I am also a Texas sailor (newbie), from San Antonio. I put the boat in the water a few years back when I first got it and it took on quite a bit of water. I have sealed the apparent leaks with marine putty. Hopefully I will be able to post some good before/after pics.

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread but I have just begun a restoration on H/N 455. I have been in contact with Catalina factory support and they were able to tell me it was built in 1970. It is pretty rough. It was given to me from someone that was not using it and amassed quite a bit of sun damage and looks worn. I have opted to spend a moderate amount to bring it back into shape. Right now it is upside down on saw horses and sanded with 80 grit. I am waiting on paint from TheBottomPaintStore.com. I am also a Texas sailor (newbie), from San Antonio. I put the boat in the water a few years back when I first got it and it took on quite a bit of water. I have sealed the apparent leaks with marine putty. Hopefully I will be able to post some good before/after pics.
Curious how you got the boat upside down on the saw horses? I need to do that and wondering the best approach. I will have to do this alone.

Here is an (attached) isometric drawing I did of my Omega 14. It is number 514 and it was built in 1971, I am told. If you want more diagrams I have the standard side and top view schematics that Catalina made and shared with me. Jim

Attachments

• Omega 14 MY ISOMETRIC DRAWING copy.jpg
    Omega 14 MY ISOMETRIC DRAWING copy.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 453
Here is an (attached) isometric drawing I did of my Omega 14. It is number 514 and it was built in 1971, I am told. If you want more diagrams I have the standard side and top view schematics that Catalina made and shared with me. Jim
Jim,
Thanks for the post. The drawing was very well done.

Couple of questions for you if you have the time...

1. Why did you fix the traveler?
2. Still haven't been able to get mine in the water for our first sail. Wondering just how stable the boat is and how many people you've had in it at one time?

I just added the shock cord mod for the centerboard as recommended by Catalina. I have info for this mod if you need it.

Thanks in advance for your time in answering!

I'll try replying from the email I got. Not sure it will work, we will see. 1. My "traveler" is a line tied to the port and stbd aft corners of the boat. One side is just a couple of half hitches so I can adjust it at the dock after I get the boom rigged and the sail up. If you allow the pulley from the boom (aft end of the main sheet) to slide then you will not be able to hold the boom to center, it will fall off and....as you tighten it it will flatten the leech. By fixing the sheet on the traveler you allow some "twist" in the leech (this is good in all but overpowering wind) while still pulling the boom closer to center than the outside aft corner of the boat. BTW, if you want to learn the intricacies of sail trim, start by learning about "twist". I'll post a little diagram on the forum.
2. Stability is subjective. I have had two adults and my two grand kids (maybe 460 lbs total) out in a fresh breeze and it was great. The key is keeping the boat properly balanced and never let go of the mainsheet. The boat is designed for two adults and three would work okay. Four adults is pushing it in anything but light wind. Stability? I don't believe this is an extremely stable boat. It is adequately stable, but there is always a trade off between stable and fast. My Lido 14 seemed more stable. I have sailed all my life on dozens of different small boats and I love my Omega 14 and have no problems with it even single handing. But if you are new you might practice under main only for a bit to get the feel of the boat. Hope this helps. Jim

Attachments

• TRAVELER SAIL TWIST FIXED.jpg
    TRAVELER SAIL TWIST FIXED.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 172
Jim, thanks for the reply and info re twist. Just one thing, you mentioned to never let go of the mainsheet. I let the sheet out when heeling is too extreme - could you expand on your comment? Thanks again!

the only times I have capsized or come close in a small boat was when I had the main (or spinnaker) sheet cleated and was hit by a gust of wind and could not release it in time. In my Lido I installed a ratcheting main sheet cleat/block so it was easy to hold on to without putting in into the cleat. On my Omega I built a (nice, if I do say so myself) barney post so the angle is higher and it is easier to get the sheet out of the cleat when hiking out. The problem is that when a gust hits you hike out and it makes it difficult to release the main because the angle and distance to the main sheet cleat is all wrong. Elevating it helps. Ratchet blocks and one rachet block with cleat. Barney post below. rachet block.JPGbarney post pictureJpg.jpg
rachet block.JPG
barney post pictureJpg.jpg

the only times I have capsized or come close in a small boat was when I had the main (or spinnaker) sheet cleated and was hit by a gust of wind and could not release it in time. In my Lido I installed a ratcheting main sheet cleat/block so it was easy to hold on to without putting in into the cleat. On my Omega I built a (nice, if I do say so myself) barney post so the angle is higher and it is easier to get the sheet out of the cleat when hiking out. The problem is that when a gust hits you hike out and it makes it difficult to release the main because the angle and distance to the main sheet cleat is all wrong. Elevating it helps. Ratchet blocks and one rachet block with cleat. Barney post below. View attachment 9503View attachment 9504 View attachment 9503View attachment 9504
Thanks, Jim, great stuff! My experience is with large keel boats so very helpful. Have you any info re using the trailer winch to raise the mast? I just sprained my back <again> stepping it up. I was thinking maybe a temporary spreader between the mast and forestay to increase the angle of pull but not sure if this is necessary. Did a search on the topic but no joy.

The short answer is "no". I purchased this boat, in part, because I could step the mast all by my self. I have had, in the past, two Lido 14's and they have a mast that steps on the foredeck in a tabernacle with a bolt that acts like a hinge and could be raised as you described. I suppose you could manufacture such an arrangement on the Omega, but those kinds of projects always turn out more complicated than imagined.
TABERNACLE LIKE IDEA.jpg

pilot881 I would like to hear more about how the restoration is going. I have just acquired an Omega 14 with a serial # in the 1900's. I am a bit leary of the fiberglass because it feels brittle when I step into the boat i hear some cracking if I step on the seats. Is your in similar condition?

Yep. I actually cracked my seat on the port side so badly I had to make a new access port on the vertical side of the seat and reach up under and reinforce it with structural fiberglass putty. Mine is an older one too. I do notice very minor cracks along the floor next to the vertical part of the seats on both sides and assume it is the fiberglass breaking down. But I don't get any water inside the hull from that apparently.

My husband just finished fixed an Omega he purchased from someone who had it in the garage for YEARS. Hull looks good. We had someone look it over - hull stuff was cosmetic. Had a mast step made. Parted out a Capri 14.2 and took some rigs and the center board. List goes on and on.

I am new to sailing. As in the 14.2 we borrowed from our club was my first sailing experience. We took the boat out late this afternoon just to see if it would float, what the sails looked like.

I noticed an awful lot of water came up into the boat. The drain holes were below the water. The centerboard area was taking on water.

When we pulled it out, it drained and drained and drained...for about 15 minutes. NOT from the inside, but apparently from between the hull? I know nothing about any of this. He feels awful because he thought everything was fine. Question is, where can I go to find out about the construction and who/how to fix it.

TIA.

Back