Capri Omega 14 Mast Height

paulkimball

I recently purchased a 1975 Omega 14 and the mast was repaired at some point. It looks like the mast broke in half and was welded back together over a smaller tube connecting the two halves. I have had the boat out in 45 mph gusts so I am not worried about the structural soundness of the mast but I want to know how much shorter it is after the repair. Can anyone tell me how long the mast is supposed to be? I have another mast that I can cut to length to replace this one if it lost significant height.

According to the C14 Handbook, Drawing 3, the mast is 20' 2". Get a copy of this great handbook; there's a link in the upper left of this page.

Oops! I just realized you have the Omega14. Sorry!

your 1975 Omega

Hi. What hull number is your 1975 Omega. My hull number is #512, but I don't know what year it was built. For my insurance company, I guessed 1975, but have no idea. Jim

Omega 14 Hull Number

I have hull number 875. I was told it was a 1975 but I am unsure if this is correct. There are some differences from the pictures I see online. The swivel base that the mainsheet goes into is mounted on an aluminum bracket that straddles the centerboard slot. The pictures I see online make it look like it is a fiberglass mount. What does yours look like?

Not over CB slot

Thanks. No, I don't believe mine is over the centerboard slot. I'll try to remember to take a picture tomorrow for you. The mainsheet cleat on mine is, I think, strange. It is on a small platform, but within an inch of the floor and behind the CB slot. So if you sit forward and try to steer with a tiller extension it really doesn't work very well. And single handing, you certainly do want to sit in the middle of the boat or you drag the transom through the water and that is a slow way to sail a boat. :(

picture of mast step

Here is a follow up. I'll see if I can post a picture here of my mast step for you. The first is my mast step which you can see is in front of the CB slot. The second is my Mainsheet Cleat I complained about. Jim

Attachments

• Mast Step wide angle.jpg
    Mast Step wide angle.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Mainsheet Cleat.jpg
    Mainsheet Cleat.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 81
Here are the pics of mine

Here are the pics of my 1975

Attachments

• 2010-06-28 19.31.00.jpg
    2010-06-28 19.31.00.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 2010-06-28 19.31.15.jpg
    2010-06-28 19.31.15.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 70
Thanks Paul

Interesting Pictures Paul. The bracket ( Barney Post) looks simple enough to fabricate. Did I notice in the pictures that there are no hiking straps? Did you remove them, and if so why?
Also I think I saw a wood storage mount for your boom. Is that fixed in the boat or removable? Looks like a good idea. And I'm betting the mainsheet block is a rachet block. I had one on my Lido 14 and it sure makes holding the mainsheet easier when it is out of the cleat in a stiff breeze.

Jim , your lucky to have that fiberglass centerboard , most have a mahogany version that is either ready to split or has split and been repaired.

Looking at your Hiking straps , up front , most wrap a small diameter dowel with the strap and fold it back under the stainless retainers. this prevents them from pulling out and allows for easy adjustment .

Anyone ever get the chance to measure their Omega mast?

Rob

Exactly 20 feet

Rob, I just went out and measured my mast. I measured only the aluminum part, not the mast butt. I inserted a wooden plug in the top that I made flush with the top, so no difference there. It comes so close to 20 feet I wonder if that is the original design. I got the following at 55 deg. F.
19'-11-29/32"
=19'-11.90625"
=19.99218'
=239.90625"

but wait! The coefficient of linear expansion of Alum. is 0.0000123 inches/inch/deg.F
so an additional 11 degrees (66 F) over 239.90625" would give you the additional 1/32" and come to exactly 20'.

On our 14.2's, the handbook is calling for 20'2" . Seems the Omega should have a little taller mast since it is Keel stepped. How much headroom is your boom giving you ?

Are you a machinist or an engineer ? I don't run across many others who have to take into account thermal expansion in their daily life. :)

Good sailing !

Rob

I have not actually measured the headroom to the boom. It is a complicated question, but i think I can answer it this way. My main sail is very old and is from a Flying Junior. The luff is 15' so if I hoist it all the way to the top I get plenty of headroom from the boom. I have actually hoisted it an inch or two short of the top. I pull down the boom with a down haul and get a couple of more inches (15'-2"). Lets say the step the mast sits on adds an inch. So I get a space of about 4'- 11" from the floor, if you do the math. I have worked as an engineer (if you count fire protection engineering, which involves hydrologics) , but am not one. I have a strong background and education in math and science and enjoy that sort of thing.

Boom Supports for Trailering

Jim,

The little supports for the boom are just pieces of cedar 2 x 4 with U cutout for the mast. They aren't attached to anything. I didn't make them, they came with the boat when I bought it. My mast is 19' 6" so It seems like there was some loss when it broke.

Mast Height

The boom supports for storage are a good Idea. I have already scratched my gel-coat with the end of the boom. Regarding mast height: If you main has the standard luff measurement then that would make your boom 6" lower and depending on how tall you are your noggin might be at risk. Personally, I think the Omega 14 is a very lively boat and don't think lowering the center of effort six inches on the mast (and therefore lowering the moment arm) is a bad idea. If you were racing I think having the rig lower would be a disadvantage in anything but overpowering wind... Jim

Jim,

The little supports for the boom are just pieces of cedar 2 x 4 with U cutout for the mast. They aren't attached to anything. I didn't make them, they came with the boat when I bought it. My mast is 19' 6" so It seems like there was some loss when it broke.

Hey Paul.
I made a boom support like your for both ends of the boom so it will not bang around and scratch the gelcoat while I am trailering. Thanks for the idea.

Attachments

• Boom Support Copia.JPG
    Boom Support Copia.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 70

Back