Capri 14.2 vs American Sail 14.6

no4j

I am looking at a Capri 14.2 and an American Sail 14.6.
I'm looking for opinions.
I'm torn but I've never sailed either boat.
My wife likes the stability of the A-14.6. I like the liveliness of the Capri, etc.
I have a good line on one of each to purchase right now.

Sure could use some feedback.

Thanks,

Dave

I have sailed both, and I think the catalina 14.2 is a much sportier boat. The main reason I like the catalina is the heavy metal centerboard, hiking straps, and boom vang adjustments. The furler jib is a nice touch as well.

Now, the american 14.6 that I have seen have a old fashioned boom, no fuller jib, fiberglass centerboard, and no possibility of hiking straps. Im sure you can get a fuller jib for the 14.6, but im not sure about the boom.

I would say the american is more stable than the catalina because there were times when the catalina would want to capsize with just the main sail up. The american would never capsize for me while only using the main sail.

I have sailed both, and I think the catalina 14.2 is a much sportier boat. The main reason I like the catalina is the heavy metal centerboard, hiking straps, and boom vang adjustments. The furler jib is a nice touch as well. .

I'm a bit confused about the "heavy metal centreboard" on the Capri 14.2! Is there a new model with this feature?

Its possible that the centerboard is a new feature this year. The beach that I rent them from just bought them this year. The centerboard definitely is not fiberglass or wood. It is a goldish brown color, and feels like metal. It is quite heavy as well. this is the only catalina I've ever sailed, but it felt unstable compared to the american 14.6.

There is a keel model. It's fixed and not a swing keel. Mostly purchased by rental and schools. Supposed to be extremely stable.

Its not the keel model. It is a swinging centerboard with a bungee and rope and all. It must be a new feature this year. The catalina website is pretty vague on its sailboats.

Sounds like a non factory mod. I would be leery, unless the trunk is heavily reinforced or there is a mechanism to prevent that thing from dropping from full retract to full extend. If it's heavy enough and can travel freely, the keel could potentially rip out the middle of the hull when falling. I've heard some first hand horror stories of this happening in larger swing keel boats when the cable snapped.

It looks factory to me, i doubt anyone at the beach has enough knowledge to swap centerboards in these brand new boats. Next time im there, ill take some pictures for you guys.

I am actually working on a weighted Centreboard at the moment. I like the idea of NOT having to fight constantly to keep the boat upright. It will have the same dimensions as the fiberglass original including it's foil shape.

I am using 1/16" thick stainless sheet for the outer skin and the hollow will be lead filled. I am also thinking of adding a steel spine which will double as the lengthwise support for holding the shape. It will take some time and effort but hopefully not too much trial & error.

As far as the trunk being strong enough? ....I believe it is! ...it has been tested many times when the board is being used for righting a capsize! I have not seen nor heard any reports of the trunk breaking up with a grown person standing on the centreboard to lever up a huge mast out of the water with wet sails attached!

I am not in a rush to get it done but promise to post my progress and final result!

Back