Capri 14.2 Specifications

Josh_Hayes

Where can I find Specifications for the Capri 14.2 such as:

What is the maximum crew and cargo weight limit?

What is the maximum hull speed?

What is the maximum outboard horsepower rating?

What is the transom height in the center, and also on both sides?

What is the average distance from bow or transom to waterline?

What is the average draft height?

How tall is the mast?

What is the weight of the boat?

Boat Specifications

This is what I have saved on my computer. I have been meaning to put it up on the new site.

DECK HARDWARE

Beaching, kick-up rudder
Teak Tiller
Angled Seat Backs
Hiking Stick
Adjustable Hiking Straps
Aluminum Barney Post with Harken Swivel Cam Cleat
Storage Cuddy Under Foredeck
Centerboard Controls, Port & Starboard
Spray Rail (teak on older models, fiberglass on late models)
Molded in Non-Skid Texture
Recessed Jib Tracks
Retractable Centerboard
SPECIFICATIONS:

Length.......................
14' 2"

Beam.........................
6'2"

Draft, Board Up.........
4"

Draft, Board Down.....
3' 6"

Sail Area std...............
114 sq. ft.

Sail Area racing..........
119 sq. ft.

Weight Approx...........
340 lbs.

What Makes The Capri 14.2 Go?
A Sailmaker's Perspective by Chris Snow, North Sails One Design

One of the best things about being a sailmaker, especially one for one design classes is that you get to deal with many different types of boats and to figure out what makes each one of them go fast. In my job we deal with boats as diverse and different as a J/24 is from a Flying Dutchman and a Capri 14.2 is from a 470. The interesting thing is that with each boat we find that certain things must be done to optimize the speed through the water and get the most out of the available sailplan.

In the next few paragraphs I'd like to offer my opinions on the Capri 14.2 to give you some insight as to what we were thinking when we designed our sails for the boat.

Most people know that to make a boat point higher the first thing you need to do is trim the jib sheet tighter. There is a point though, that the leech of the jib gets too tight and the leech of the jib starts stalling creating, excessive drag and slowing the boat. The trick to getting max. speed and pointing is to pull the jib in to the point where the leech is just on the verge of stalling. It is at this point where we get maximum speed and pointing.

The first thing you notice with the Capri 14.2 from a sailmaking point of view is how wide the sheeting angle of the jib is. But with the C-14.2 handicapped by the outboard lead how do we get the boat ot sail higher into the wind? Basically we need to "trick" the jib into thinking it is trimmed in tighter than it actually is. To do this we sag the luff of the jib off to leeward a bit without trimming the sheet in. Sagging the luff of the sail widens its angle to the wind and lets us point the boat up higher into the breeze. In effect we have trimmed the leech in without tightening the jib sheet!

It is important to note that your sail must be cut correctly to make this work. Because physics dictate that the luff of the sail sags to leeward AND back, a sail that is not cut for the correct amount of sag will actually get fuller in the luff and point even lower! The trick is to cut some hollow in the luff of the sail to match the general amount of sag we want to sail with. Too little hollow will result in too full an entry and a sail that won't point. Too much hollow and the sail will be too flat and not develop any power to drive the boat forward.

When developing a design for the mainsail we look at a number of things before cutting sails. How much will the mast bend? How much power (fullness) does the boat need? Does the boat have weather helm by design or does it need more helm (which can be induced with sail shape)?

The mast on the C-14.2 is relatively stiff, meaning that the mainsail requires relatively little luff curve. Luff curve is one of the two ways we add shape to a sail. The second way is "broadseam" or the shape in the seams of a sail. Generally the amount of luff curve is determined by how much the mast will bend at it's maximum.

One of the other characteristics of the C-14.2 is that the rudder on the boat does not stick down very far below the bottom of the boat. For this reason we have designed the leech of our main to be relatively open. This helps to keep the boat on it's feet (nice and flat) and the rudder deep in the water to make steering easier.

There are many considerations to look at when designing sails for a one design class and the Capri14.2 is certainly no exception. Because we ask one set of sails to cover all the possible winds we might be sailing in we are always searching for a happy medium where the sails are easy to use so the sailor can concentrate on tactics and fast in all conditions.

by Chris Snow, North Sails One Design

619-226-1415
619-224-7018 fax
http://www.northsailsod.com/

-----
Hope this helps,
Bradley Green
C14 Webmaster

Back