Can you car top a Laser on a Honda Fit?

Looks like you can with Thule.. Plenty of people used VW Bugs (the old ones), Civics (back when they were Fit sized).

Based on the foot design of the Thule below, I'd have no reserveration cartopping.

upload_2014-7-10_12-55-9.png

I used to do it with a Pontiac Vibe, which I considered marginally small for cartopping. I think the Fit is even smaller. I'd take it real easy going around corners.

I was debating roof topping on my fit too. I have a generic rack which I've used to transport a few things, maxing out around 100 lbs. The main reason I felt unsure of it was because the rack beams are pretty close together due to the curve of the roof and the door locations. This would permit more pitch and yaw and make tying down difficult. I was thinking of building a simple wood frame which would fit the dimensions of the cockpit and would also brace against the rack beams, preventing sideways and forward/backward movement. This would give me more confidence, but since I don't really need to do it I am going to worry about it later. Let me know if you go for it! If I ever do, I'll post pics. I think this idea and securing the bow and stern to tow points on the bumpers would do it.

Good observation on the distance between the racks - I have a Honda Odyessy w/o the factory racks and went with the Thule racks - Because they are designed only to fit in the sliding door area, they are much closer together then I was used to and I had the same concerns. Tying the bow and stern down to the bumpers/tow points stops any pitching. I ended up building up the outside portions of the racks so all points on the rack were in contact with the deck (the deck drops a little more than an inch from centerline to the rails) I've done approx 6K miles at speeds up to 80-85 w/o an movement or issues

Tying the bow & stern to the bumpers is a good idea for any vehicle, be it a Fit or a Suburban.

Last edited by a moderator:
Digging up an ancient thread. I am wondering if this worked?

I have an RV that I take to Sailing regattas and would like to tow my Honda Fit behind with the Laser topped on top of that.

Back