Can this rudder be repaired?

sandys

crackedtiller.JPG

I have a 1976 sunfish. the rudder cracked when I used it last. Can i repair it? If so, how? If not, is there somewhere I can buy a replacement?

Last edited:
Yes, it can be repaired. Carefully remove all the hardware so you are just working with jusy the damaged rudder blade. Coat both sides oif the split areas with unthickened epoxy resin. I like WEST but any good 2-part marine epoxy will work. Clamp with several clamps. If you don't have clamps, borrow some. Let cure. Then drill maybe three holes sideways through your repaired area. Countersink the holes and screw in stainless steel or brass screws. Fill the countersink holes with thickened epoxy and let cure. Sand the whole blade and refinish with multiple coats of marine varnish sanding with 220 grit sandpaper or steelwool.. I am liking Minwax Helmsman Gloss Spar urethane, not very expensive and dries quickly in even hot, muggy conditions. Re-attach hardware and go sailing.

Alan Glos
Cazenovisa, NY

This is a common issue. After repair it will be stronger than before.
See also this thread:

When you pull the tiller handle to raise the blade, it snaps up causing the split. We have all done them. I always raise the blade by hand. Alan does lots of repairs. It is not a hard repair.

Back