can these cracks be fixed?

minifish - Boat #2 is down the road and will probably be something other than a Sunfish (probably Laser or Force 5, or something that can fit 3 people). The boat we looked at and considered lowballing the guy in order to get parts and trailer was definitely not taken care of. I could see water damage under the water line, the deck was flexing, and some taps revealed voids. The gelcoat was shot, so we'd likely have to sand down, make lots of repairs, and then repaint it. The rudder and daggerboard would need refinishing, but seemed in decent shape otherwise. Sail was still crisp. Trailer appear in okay condition, though I think the tires needed replacing, and it would need some heavy modification to become a two-boat trailer.

I think that boat (called Dirty Boat in my head) would be a greater headache than stress cracks in the cockpit. It's still a possibility we'll lowball for parts and then put an ad up for anyone to take Dirty Boat away for free, but we also don't have the luxury of sitting on a junk boat (pesky neighborhood covenants). And we have an HF utility trailer being modified for us, so obtaining a trailer is not longer part of the equation. Spare parts still nice, and I would need to look at the rudder again, but it looked like the newer (post 72) rudder but the older bracket style. I'm not worried about having the old rudder style. If it steers correctly, then that is good enough for we newbies.

The 60s boat's seller has also pointed us to other possible boats in his area, but they are always sold before we can get there. :( We just aren't in an active CL area for Sunfishes.

Anyone repair cracks in a cockpit before?

Back