Can someone give PDF version of Ben AInslie book "Laser Campaign manual"?

I find in the internet this link to the Jon Emmett book Be Youre Own Sailing Coach!

(Illegal download deleted. Sorry Jon.)

I guarantee everybody who will read this thread will download this book! And nobody will remember the copyright!!! 8)

So please give the book I asked! 8)

Thanks a lot!!!

I find in the internet this link to the Jon Emmett book Be Youre Own Sailing Coach!

(link deleted)

I guarantee everybody who will read this thread will download this book! And nobody will remember the copyright!!! 8)

So please give the book I asked! 8)

Thanks a lot!!!

I parked next to Jon Emmett at WPNSA this summer...nice chap...one of the few people managing to make a modest living in this buisness from his hard work, coaching and racing.
I was able to stop myself stealing anything from the back of his van and I won't be stealing his book either. :)

I parked next to Jon Emmett at WPNSA this summer...nice chap...one of the few people managing to make a modest living in this buisness from his hard work, coaching and racing.
I was able to stop myself stealing anything from the back of his van and I won't be stealing his book either. :)

When you read articles in the internet you also steal ideas of some people! So you must forget the internet because of youre moral and conscience!

4 replys about weather!!! If you dont have this book or dont want to give it or nibble conscience then DONT ANSWER!!! I'll make a thread about conscience and weather! You can post all what you want in this thread!!!

When you read articles in the internet you also steal ideas of some people! So you must forget the internet because of youre moral and conscience!

I enjoy reading people's ideas...Ideas that are freely given; Information that is provided with permission and appropriate acknowledgement to source. The Internet is great for that and I shall continue to enjoy its benefits, untroubled by my morals and conscience. I will, on occasion, stumble over material that is reproduced without permission and have to make a personal decision about how and if i use it.

We both know that your active request for copyrighted material is slightly different. I have no particularly high moral stance on this and I'm sure that a similarly minded person will soon furnish you with what you want, But ,please don't try to dignify your intellectual theft with arguments such as: ....everyone does it... or..... its too expensive... or ...all Internet use is stealing.

I can guarantee you that I will not.

Look - I'm assuming you are a smart guy. I could happily spend time discussing both the moral and legal issues around the protection of intellectual property - it is a significant part of my day job - but you've made it clear you don't want to do that.

You have provided, as your reasoning for not buying a copy, that (a) it is expensive if delivered to the Ukraine (b) it takes 8 weeks for delivery and (c) Amazon do not deliver to the Ukraine anyway.

This page seems to refute you last point and puts your second point into question - Amazon say 3 - 4 weeks for standard shipping to the Ukraine.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=596194"]Amazon.com Help: Europe[/ame]

The same page suggests $4 for standard shipping to Europe - and defines the Ukraine as in the Europe shipping region. I appreciate you may have some add-on costs at the border, but your incorrect assertions about Amazon have not given your post a lot of credence.

And of course Amazon is far from the only source. You can still buy the book, new, directly from the publishers. Go to Wiley's website.

Buying secondhand is an exception to copyright law - in the U.S. we call this the First Sale Doctrine. But making a copy and distributing this while retaining the original is outside of that law.

So I suggest you find the cheapest second-hand copy you can, buy it and have it mailed to you.

The last time I checked, the high temperature in Kiev at this time of year is below freezing. You are not going sailing anytime soon.

I appreciate the difficulties of obtaining items in certain countries. I lived in a country for a few years where stuff for my boat was both difficult to get and expensive. You know what? If you'd been a little more civil in your response to our posts, one of us may even have offered to source a copy for you here, legally, and have sent it to you as a gift between Laser sailors. Sadly, you lost my goodwill through your responses.

4 replys about weather!!! If you dont have this book or dont want to give it or nibble conscience then DONT ANSWER!!! I'll make a thread about conscience and weather! You can post all what you want in this thread!!!

I believe I will answer. We discourage copyright violation on TLF to the point that this thread may be deleted. Consulting with Bradley now.

As a US based website, we must adhere to the DMCA or risk lawsuits by copyright holders against us. For this reason, we cannot allow copyrighted material to be uploaded or distributed through this website.

Is the book available for sale in e-form? Possibly from Google Books, Amazon, or Apple?

My e-mail [email protected]

Thanks a lot!

And ... having published your e-mail address in open text on a forum that can be read by anything, I expect the web trawlers from the Spammers have already collected it, are adding it to their lists - so expect ever increasing volumes of spam. My advice (for what it is worth would b e to edit your post a.s.a.p. and delete the e-mail address.

Or if the post has been displayed too long to be edited, maybe send a nice e-mail to a moderator (e.g. Merrily) asking for e-mail/post/thread to be deleted - but remember that Merrily is also an author so might have strong opinions on copyright.

Ian

Dear friends this thread didnt have helpful information!!! Nobody gave ben ainslie book! From this thread we can only get information about weather in kiev!!! And about worries of different people!!! So you can delete it any time you want! Jon emmett book is really easy to get from google!!!

Bye-bye!!!
Dont worry be happy!!!

GOD save the copyright!!! ©

What the heck.

I'll post all Aissle's book right here .

How to do a campaign like mine.

1. Be extremely talented
2. have friends who believe in you and will support your effort
3. Apply yourself
4. Thank everybody who helped get you to the top.

Now about Moby Dick by Herman Mellville.

Guy gets mad at one whale and goes after it. Fun times for everyone follow.

Ok how about The Grapes of Wrath

Family moves to California

I'll do the Bible in the Silly thread

A couple of facts as an I.P. attorney who does not work in the U.S.... but in a third world country such as Argentina...

I find it amazing most of times that U.S. nationals tend to think that their laws and jurisdiction covers the entire world, and most times they seem utmost surprised to learn that in other countries, different laws may apply. I know that this is not the case, but in this thread most people quoted U.S. laws to deal with a situation that may take place in Ukraine.

Of course, I am perfectly aware that it is still illegal and personally I condemn the infringement of copyright laws -as well as trademark or patent infringement, but that is not what my post is intended to.

A couple of years ago, I bought the plans for a folding boat from a guy in the U.S. (USD 45 trhough paypal) and got the plasn by e-mail (a couple of friends asked for a copy, but I told them to go to the website). When I wrote back to the designer of the plans with a couple of questions regarding the translation of some of the terms, he wrote back surprised saying that he had never thought that the parts of the boat in different languages would have different names...

Also, I had to bought twice some books from Stuart Walker in Barnes & Noble (Advanced racing tactics, positioning and others) since the first time I asked them to be sent through regular mail and they have never arrived (probably some chap at local post office thought they were interesting books to have at his house). Since then allways bought books and had them sent through Fedex, some friend travelling to the U.S. or bought them myself during mi trips to the US (INTA or AIPLA meetings).

Finally, I have only been able to suscribe to Speed & Smarts, from David Dellenbaugh when he started with the electronic version, otherwise they would not arrive and didn´t seem smart to spend 30 USD to get a 5 USD leaflet.

I do not accept the infringement of copyrights, and if the book is available in e-form then there is no excuse.

I do not accept the infringement of copyrights, and if the book is available in e-form then there is no excuse.

I don't understand -- no excuse for what?

The book is not available electronically as far as I know. It appears that the creator of this thread wanted someone to scan the entire book for him and send it to him for free; and he was puzzled by our responses. He is, as we say, a piece of work. I'd hate to race against someone for whom cheating seems to be a given. It doesn't stop at copyright infringement.

I don't understand -- no excuse for what?

The book is not available electronically as far as I know. It appears that the creator of this thread wanted someone to scan the entire book for him and send it to him for free; and he was puzzled by our responses. He is, as we say, a piece of work. I'd hate to race against someone for whom cheating seems to be a given. It doesn't stop at copyright infringement.

sorry...

"is no excuse for the infringement."

In our country, and according to the chapter 6th of our copyrigth act, if 10 years has passed without the book being printed or available in the country, the copyright holder will not be able to oppose the printing of the same by third parties. If they do not reach an agreement in relation to the royalties due, same will be fixed by a Judge or an arbiter.

I am not aware of the Ukranian laws, but many countries has dispositions like that in their copyrights acts (something similar happens with patents but with much shorter terms) and I would not be surprised if they have something like that in eastern europe.

Bye.

So Mingo, you are saying that if it is not available electronically, then it is OK to make a PDF of one's own and distribute it? And it's OK to ask someone to do it for whom it is illegal?

Ainslie's book is still in print and is available through Amazon.

Yes, I recognize that other countries have their own copyright laws that may differ from ours. The U.S. does try to make treaties that address this, but I don't know the specifics with the Ukraine or with Argentina. Then there's the issue of even if it is not illegal, is it ethical to take something that may have taken years to create and is someone's livelihood?

So Mingo, you are saying that if it is not available electronically, then it is OK to make a PDF of one's own and distribute it? And it's OK to ask someone to do it for whom it is illegal?

Ainslie's book is still in print and is available through Amazon.

Yes, I recognize that other countries have their own copyright laws that may differ from ours. The U.S. does try to make treaties that address this, but I don't know the specifics with the Ukraine or with Argentina. Then there's the issue of even if it is not illegal, is it ethical to take something that may have taken years to create and is someone's livelihood?

Nooo.. thats not what I am saying... not even close... english is not my mother tongue and sometimes the joke is on me...

Just wanted to state a couple of facts, no opinion. Personally, I do not accept/encourage copyright infringment.

Please note that even though when you may be allowed to reprint a book that has been out of print for 10 years, you would still have to pay the corresponding royalties to the copyright holder.

Nooo.. thats not what I am saying... not even close... english is not my mother tongue and sometimes the joke is on me...

Just wanted to state a couple of facts, no opinion. Personally, I do not accept/encourage copyright infringment.

Please note that even though when you may be allowed to reprint a book that has been out of print for 10 years, you would still have to pay the corresponding royalties to the copyright holder.

Cool.

No, US copyright law is not readily enforceable in Argentina or the Ukraine. However if TLF was used to convey copyrighted material, it is Bradley who would be sued.

I have also made Jon aware of this thread and the fact that his book appears to be available to freely download. I don't imagine he will be impressed!

He is a good guy and someone who does a huge amount for the class here in the UK. Somehow he gets a living out of it too, more power to him I say.

As for not wanting to pay the premium why ask a friend/relative that lives abroad maybe in mainland europe to order it for you and mail it across. Or order the Paul Goodison Laser book from the RYA, I believe they ship internationally at a reasonable rate of shipping (Bens book may also be available through that method).

In the mean time please don't freeload....

Dear Merrily!!! I want to ask you!

You have a book (with copyright)! Youre friend from youre town or maybe youre sailing club ask you to give him this book to read!

Will you give it him or you will tell him that he must go to the shop and buy it because of copyright?

I want to emphasize that I asked to send this book to my email not to put it in the internet! And I can promise you that i will not put in the internet!

Its like to give a book youre friend to read!

You have a book (with copyright)! Youre friend from youre town or maybe youre sailing club ask you to give him this book to read!

Will you give it him or you will tell him that he must go to the shop and buy it because of copyright?

I want to emphasize that I asked to send this book to my email not to put it in the internet! And I can promise you that i will not put in the internet!

I would be happy to send you my copy, if I can find my copy, and if I could find a shipping method that didn't cost more then double what the book cost. I'm checking with Meest to see if they would ship it and what the cost would be.. Can you PM me your address or at least the town so I can find out more on the shipping cost.

For the rest of the posters - I'd ask that you cut Fordewind just a little slack instead of piling on. It is the holiday season after all.

If you take the time to read and really digest his other posts, you might come to the same conclusion I did that this is someone who really just wants to sail a Laser, in a country where doing so is no where as simple as it is in my country or your country.

OK, asking for the book in PDF file was wrong based on the laws in the countries where many of us are fortunate to live in, but instead of verbally whacking his hand, why don't we, as a collective group try and find a way to get him a legit copy of the book. If anyone else has some ideas, or a faster way to get the book to him then from the US, I'd be more then happy to chip in some cash via PayPal to defray the costs..

If you read my post there were some suggestions.

The issue is that international shipping does cost money but this is no excuse for copyright breach.

The writer of the book where the link was posted earlier in this thread is aware of it's exitstence, he is not happy about it (and rightly so).

As for the loaning of a boot I would happily loan out any of my sailing books and Laser books to anyone I know who asked. They generally then go an buy them for themselves!

A bit of a tangent but ...

Not that many people have proper e-book readers (iPhone, not good for reading proper books, notebooks and laptops also not good) so whilst I also disagree with people distributing copyright material, I suspect there will only be limited damage done to the rights holder(s). OK, any loss of income due is not acceptable, but I suspect most people who would consider buying the book might have a brief look at the illegal copy, decide it looks good and order a printed copy (so they have it in a format they can actually read). I'm talking generally here - I've no idea how good quality the scans of the particular book mentioned here are (I've more than enough printed books on tactics and Laser sailing still to read).

Maybe I am old fashioned and despite having been a software developer for many many years, I still don't get on with online documentation (though it is obligatory these days as printing out your own copy is prohibitively expensive). E-mails and short content I can manage on a screen but a book - no. I've not tried e-book readers (as the available content is too limited and Amazon have shown how disreputably they can behave over what you purchase Kindle wise).

Ian

You gots to pay to play son!

Thank you very much for all your support. Be Your Own Sailing Coach was written on the basis of over 10 years coaching experience. It was also written at a very bad time in my life after just having major spinal surgery. So it is very special to me.

Jon

You gots to pay to play son!
But if you can buy for a non autherntic copy of the book for significantly less, which is for all intents and purposes identical, but the owners of the copyright/license don't get their cut, that seems to be ok by some.;)

Thank you very much for all your support. Be Your Own Sailing Coach was written on the basis of over 10 years coaching experience. It was also written at a very bad time in my life after just having major spinal surgery. So it is very special to me.

Jon

Sorry Jon that I put the link for this book in this forum! But its not me was putting it in internet. On the one hand I understand you! But on the other hand you must try to understand that youre book become so popular that it was put in the internet! Now ppeople all over the world can lear youre book! Can get youre teaching! YOURE BOOK BECOME LIKE BIBLE. Not every one can allow himself to see oryginal version but everyone is happy that he can see the copy!!!

Back