Can not find HIN

Cdubb

Hi all,

Been using as many of the resources on here but I'm stumped once more. I can't find the HIN on my boat. It's not on the transom and I can find no other tag besides the one by the splash guard or obvious remnants of where one was. I need the HIN for registration purposes as it has never been registered or issued a MC number. It's in the 72-87 time frame, think it's from the 70s but that's only a guess. Where do I look?

How many stripes does your hull have? Front and back? What style rudder? Does it have the cockpit storage? Pictures would be great.

Yes, Sailflow is correct. Photos woukd help.

Some of the early post 1972 Sunfish had aluminum tags glued on the transom with the HIN etched on them. No surprise that they did not stick very well and usually fell off.
I can sell you a pre-1972 tag with a serial number stamped on it ($10) and you can screw it to the deck just aft of the inner "V" of the splashrail. This will at least let you get the boat registered in your home state. Or you can make up a number and engrave it on the transom with a vibrating etching pen.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

It has the newer style rudder I was told by someone who would know

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 51
The access port near the stern provides evidence that the updated rudder was installed later.

Wow wouldn't have guessed it was that old, thanks everyone! Now question is is this in the Pre HIN era? I had a old Jon boat from the 50s that was not issued on so the good ole Michigan SS cut me a break and issued me tags without one. Granted that boat had MC numbers from back in the day still while this one was sailed on a private lake so it was never registered.

If it is in Michigan, just tell the SOS that the boat is pre HIN and has never been registered. I had to do the same for my late 1960's era Sunfish.
They will issue a new set of MC numbers. I can't recall - they might create a new title for the boat as well.

Back