Can i change the vang hardware on my mast and boom? Does all hardware align to the same holes? Or will i need to drill new holes?

Mickey123

Can i change the vang hardware on my mast and boom? Does all hardware align to the same holes? Or will i need to drill new holes? Can i drill new holes leaving old holes in the mast and boom? or is there a way to fill them?

Attachments

• IMG_5722.jpeg
    IMG_5722.jpeg
    334.9 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5723.jpeg
    IMG_5723.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5724.jpeg
    IMG_5724.jpeg
    441.1 KB · Views: 62
Good question! Your vang key fitting (the one on the boom) is the one that was used approximately between 1973 and '76 (in North America and Europe at least), while your vang tang (the one on the mast) is a very early model that was changed to the current one around '73. So if both your mast and boom are original, those fittings alone place your boat's building date to 1972 or '73. Is there a number under the bow eye? It's highly likely a four-digit one. If not, there's a code on the transom. What does it say?

...but to the point: I would NOT drill new holes. You simply don't want to make the spars weaker and more prone to failure in high-load areas like those. The current key and tang fittings don't fit in the same holes, but there's nothing wrong with those old fittings. They're fully legal and should work perfectly well. Just add a swivel between the cleat block and the mast tang, and remember that the key fitting takes only the "straight" model vang key. You can then increase the purchase ratio with additional blocks to whatever you want, but that's another discussion really.

_

Last edited:
LaLi is right. Don't change the spar fittings without good reason. With the classic vang setup, you can add shackles and swivels as needed. I'm not sure how the upgraded vang setup would work, but it could probably be done. Personally for a boat of this age, I would just stick with the classic vang setup and add some purchase.

Good question! Your vang key fitting (the one on the boom) is the one that was used approximately between 1973 and '76 (in North America and Europe at least), while your vang tang (the one on the mast) is a very early model that was changed to the current one around '73. So if both your mast and boom are original, those fittings alone place your boat's building date to 1972 or '73. Is there a number under the bow eye? It's highly likely a four-digit one. If not, there's a code on the transom. What does it say?

...but to the point: I would NOT drill new holes. You simply don't want to make the spars weaker and more prone to failure in high-load areas like those. The current key and tang fittings don't fit in the same holes, but there's nothing wrong with those old fittings. They're fully legal and should work perfectly well. Just add a swivel between the cleat block and the mast tang, and remember that the key fitting takes only the "straight" model vang key. You can then increase the purchase ratio with additional blocks to whatever you want, but that's another discussion really.

_
Thanks for your response. Great info. Much appreciated.

There is no number under the bow eye that i can see. Attached is a photo with the only info i can find - a label inside the cockpit.

I still don't understand what i need to do to attach to the vang key fitting on the boom. I located something that looks like it may work, but need to check the dimensions, and still not sure if it is meant for this. The Optipart 2148 vang swivel. Photo attached. Let me know if i'm on track with this part to link the upper block of the vang to the vang key fitting on the boom. Or if there is another part you know of that i could use.

For the bow mast tang, i've seen photos of a shackle attaching it to the lower vang block but i haven't round any swivel shackles that have the equivalent of vang key that can attach to my lower vang block (i don't know if i'm using the proper terminology - still trying to learn.). Do you have photos or part numbers for any that might work?

Thanks!

Attachments

• label in cockpit.jpeg
    label in cockpit.jpeg
    511.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Optipart 2148 vang swivel.jpg
    Optipart 2148 vang swivel.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 57
There is no number under the bow eye that i can see. Attached is a photo with the only info i can find - a label inside the cockpit.
That's the good old "Omega" logo. I think the Japanese builder is still using it.
If there's nothing under the bow eye, then there should be an embossed code on the transom, which includes the builder and the building month and year. Everything's still pointing at 1973, or very late '72.
Looks like the cockpit (and probably the whole deck) was painted on at some point by the way.

i don't know if i'm using the proper terminology
It's a little confusing :D I'll try to make things clearer by some underlining.
The swivel is supposed to go between the vang cleat block and the vang tang on the mast. That Optiparts thing looks perfect for the job. If it's too narrow for your type of mast tang, then you can spread it and replace the pin with a longer one, or replace the pin with that shackle you now have between the cleat block and the tang.

At the boom end, whatever vang key block you have (highly likely the original cast-aluminium one), it attaches to the vang key fitting with a straight vang key:

al-a0093lz.jpg

What parts do you already have? If you lay it all out (in sales-ad style) it would be easier to help.

_

That's the good old "Omega" logo. I think the Japanese builder is still using it.
If there's nothing under the bow eye, then there should be an embossed code on the transom, which includes the builder and the building month and year. Everything's still pointing at 1973, or very late '72.
Looks like the cockpit (and probably the whole deck) was painted on at some point by the way.

It's a little confusing :D I'll try to make things clearer by some underlining.
The swivel is supposed to go between the vang cleat block and the vang tang on the mast. That Optiparts thing looks perfect for the job. If it's too narrow for your type of mast tang, then you can spread it and replace the pin with a longer one, or replace the pin with that shackle you now have between the cleat block and the tang.

At the boom end, whatever vang key block you have (highly likely the original cast-aluminium one), it attaches to the vang key fitting with a straight vang key:

View attachment 51791

What parts do you already have? If you lay it all out (in sales-ad style) it would be easier to help.

_
I purchased this vang. I don't see how the vang key fits into the vang key fitting on the boom - maybe i just need to try it - i can give it a try on Friday.

Laser Vang Classic 3-1 Allen.png

To fit your vang to the boom, slide the pin (circled) in the direction of the arrow.

Attachments

• 71C6A6EB-A9D2-4643-A935-3F6FEB347395.jpeg
    71C6A6EB-A9D2-4643-A935-3F6FEB347395.jpeg
    116.5 KB · Views: 47
  • D983267B-8A62-413A-B3C5-49B76C2A826B.jpeg
    D983267B-8A62-413A-B3C5-49B76C2A826B.jpeg
    659.2 KB · Views: 39

Back