Can a Jet Ski Trailer work for a Sunfish?

grahambo

Hi everyone, I was wondering if anyone out there has ever used a single place jet ski trailer to haul a sunfish around. I've been looking at a few trailers and saw an ad for a single place jet ski one. Has anyone done this? Anyone have warnings against it? Thanks.

I would think any trailer that could be setup up to keep the pressure of road shock off the flat bottom, keeping it out at the chine corners or let you do the bottoms up carry would work.

Yea the trailer should work great! One thing to make sure is the boat is not sitting too far forward on the trailer, so when you make a really sharp turn it does not hit the tow vehicle. Keep in mind you need 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch, but with the boat so light like the Sunfish I would make it more like 20% of total weight if you plan on towing anywhere at speed. You can move the spare tire around to balance it after you have it all done.

On a full size truck its about 3 feet or so needed for tongue length in front of the boat - so you may have to add a piece of metal to extend the trailer tongue - its easy.

The longer the trailer tongue the easier it will be to back the trailer - and it will tow better and tow at faster speeds.

Hopefully the trailer has bigger wheels/tires, a least 12" but bigger will help with the jolts on the road.

Good luck.

Back