Can a daggerboard be fixed?

apreece

I was Hyannis regetta 2004 and I went to draine the boat and the center board was on top and it feel and snapped the back corner off. Is it possible to fix that?

If you still have the back corner and it is a clean break you can reattach it with epoxy, 24 hour stuff, called Araldite everywhere except North America. It works well, I advised a friend to repair his board this way, several weeks after he repaired it, someone else told him it wasn't strong enough so he used a vice to grip the piece he had reattached and pushed sideways, the board snapped in a different spot, quite a long way from the original break. The repair held, he glued his board back together using 24 hour Araldite (supa giga) its still in one piece two years later.
This stuff is specifed by the some aircraft manufacturers as part of a structural repair package, I reckon its good enough for my Laser.

if u can get it theres this good stuff called locit (pronounced lock tite) i use it all the time its the strongest glue out there but use gloves when applying it becuase u need to sand the stuff off. hope that helps.

cya
asho

Having a similar problem a while ago i was given the advice not to use epoxy but to use polyester resin as it sticks better

Back