Camera holder for Laser

SailFast13

Hey,

I want to build a 'mount/ holder' so that I can attach my camera to the back of my laser (like you see in those sailing DVD's).

Does anyone have any ideas or plans of how I can do this?

I have a FLIP Ultra HD camera in the FLIP waterproof case...

Thanks!

I'm sure you could engineer something quite easily with a standard tripod mount attached to the lid of an inspection port (think bottleport)... this would probabaly be easier to mount to the fore, looking aft as you would not have the tiller range to deal with.

Maybe for the latter you can modify a drain plug with some sort of armature ending in a tripod mount.

Here are some recent footage from my new GoPro HeroWide bow mounted camera...

I'm looking for a good solution for a simple transom mount too for my GoPro. Maybe something that clamps onto the lip overhang off to one side of the rudder? A safety line would be a must because a gybe could take the whole thing out.

810149352_XYomX-S.jpg

I bought my camera from Adam (laser sailor himself) at http://iceplanter.com/ for $139 about a month ago. Great service! bought the extra mount kit too for $18 so I could leave the mount setup on the bow. I also upgrade to a 4gb SD card for about 2 hours of continuous shooting. good fun! I can't see NOT sailing with this thing attached when I'm laser sailing now. :cool:

i actually just bough a flip and if you go to the website you can buy a tripod. i bought the tri pod and im thinking about to put it up near the bow and use wire to hold the legs together. you wont understand unless u check out website

I got my flip today and actually i just put elastic around my mast holding my flip and i tied a rope onto the wrist strap just in case. when i went out i capsized 2 times to make sure it would work and yes it did :)

I've been considering one of those. Which mounting system did you use? Your photo has it all wrapped in tape so it's a little hard to tell. :)

I used a GoPro mount that looks like a crescent "C" shape to raise it up off the deck a bit. This mount came in the "extra" bag of mounts sold separately. The glob of electrical tape is to keep the camera tightly secured to the bow eye and to avoid any shaking during filming. I may of wrapped it more then I needed. Most important.. I'm extra careful to avoid another boat dragging their mainsheets across my bow and launching my new toy into the deep blue. There a thin safety that would maybe save it in that event. :D

I am a mechanical engineer with a seat of solidworks. If I design up a camera mount that would work on the back of the boat would any body be interested?

I would design it with the following in mind:

1. Need to be able to attach to the boat with out any boat modifications.
  2. Need to be implemented so that the main sheet would not catch on it.
  3. Need to be up high enough to give good view of the deck, running rigging, and hiker.
I would model up a prototype and post it to the forum. If there are enough interested people I would get quotes for having components manufactured.

I am a mechanical engineer with a seat of solidworks. If I design up a camera mount that would work on the back of the boat would any body be interested?

I would design it with the following in mind:

1. Need to be able to attach to the boat with out any boat modifications.
  2. Need to be implemented so that the main sheet would not catch on it.
  3. Need to be up high enough to give good view of the deck, running rigging, and hiker.
I would model up a prototype and post it to the forum. If there are enough interested people I would get quotes for having components manufactured.

Sign me up.

Hey, I was able to upload two videos with my new rig which I made using some of your ideas... Thanks a lot for the help!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIWjedZSzwg&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIWjedZSzwg&feature=channel[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd59lznGsLY&feature=channel"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd59lznGsLY&feature=channel[/ame]

Hey, I was able to upload two videos with my new rig which I made using some of your ideas... Thanks a lot for the help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIWjedZSzwg&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd59lznGsLY&feature=channel

Nice job on the camera angle, filming yourself is a great way to improve, I'd suggest some anti fog spray on the waterproof case so you don't get blurry patches.

I also noticed that your vang line was dragging on the water in the top video, its legal to tie the tail to the clip on your main block or daggerboard, I like to tie a bowline around the main block clip, it makes the vang much easier to reach, flip it to the other side before tacking so you can adjust it if needed, it really helps in heavy air when you need to crank on the vang, it seems to get tangled less as well.

Nice job on the camera angle, filming yourself is a great way to improve, I'd suggest some anti fog spray on the waterproof case so you don't get blurry patches.

I also noticed that your vang line was dragging on the water in the top video, its legal to tie the tail to the clip on your main block or daggerboard, I like to tie a bowline around the main block clip, it makes the vang much easier to reach, flip it to the other side before tacking so you can adjust it if needed, it really helps in heavy air when you need to crank on the vang, it seems to get tangled less as well.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I think I will try tieing the vang onto the block the next time I go out, and I agree I do need some anti fog... Thanks!!!

Here is a stern mounted frame that I built from alloy. It is tough and easy to fit and remove. I I have used it in heavy winds and big waves with no problems.

I would use it with a Sanyo Xacti that could film for around 1 hour before the battery would lose power. 500-600 mp4 file each session from memory.

View of frame fitted.

01022010076.jpg

What you can see from camera height approximately.

01022010077.jpg

Attachment point.

01022010080.jpg

Retaining shockcord and support leg.

01022010079.jpg

View of camera mount area and my sophisticated mounting for camera. Different mounting ideas were tried but this was simplest and toughest, camera stayed where it was pointed and importantly remained attached.

01022010072.jpg

Frame idea from an 18 skiff that had a camera extension fitted to back I saw long time ago when the Grand Prix 18 series was around in Aus.

All the mounting point and construction ideas mine.

Hey,

I want to build a 'mount/ holder' so that I can attach my camera to the back of my laser (like you see in those sailing DVD's).

Does anyone have any ideas or plans of how I can do this?

I have a FLIP Ultra HD camera in the FLIP waterproof case...

Thanks!

in the dvd's they all use a little camera called a dog cam pro and they come with mounting brackets

Has anybody figured out a good bow eye mount for the GoPro? Right now I'm doing electrical tape like Sail4SC, functional but not elegant. I'd like something a little cleaner and solid, but none of the available GoPro mounts look like they would attach to the bow eye.

Haha, first post!

I've been using the GoPro for a long time on my Vago, just bought a Laser this week and am going to get some good mounting points sorted.

Bow mounted isn't great, you can use the Vented Helmet Strap mount to go round the mast with a couple of adapters, this is good, but only for one tack (but it looks awesome on one tack).

I'm thinking of using the suction cup mount about 6 inches to one side of the tiller on the transom. Will post video tomorrow most likely if those friendly gelcoaters at my club get the Laser ready to go!

From the transom gives you such a better idea of what's happening. Bow mounted just means you see the mast instead of the tiller (which coincidentally shouldn't ever be visible beyond the mast ELSE IT'S A BREAK!) - I might have been watching Boat Whisperer DVDs

I have been following this thread and on Wednesday I made (with a little help form my friend the stainless steel worker) a new boom mount for my GoPro HD Hero Camera. I've posted a link to the results. Now don't even bother to critique my sailing as I'm new to Lasers this year and only stepped into a sailing boat for the first time last year. Anyhow, I'm out again tonight and will have the camera and rig set up so I will take a photo and post it here.

The movie is put together to show a variety of angles that can be achieved by the boom mounted camera. It's my first attempt. I think it is so much better than a static mount on the transom as you get lots of different angles but are still able to see what's happening on all points of sale thanks to the 170 degree lens.

The one problem with the deck mounting that I can see is that it is too low to give a good balanced picture. Thanks to the wide angle lens you inevitably get a huge amount of deck in the foreground and a load of sky with a tiny person in the middle of the frame. The bracket for the boom mount is tiny compared to the scaffold for the transom mount, plus you get a lovely low shot from the transom when beating and a great overall view of the boat from the side when reaching or running.

Any suggestions how to keep the water of the lens?

GoPro do a great range of mounts and I think the Roll Bar mount will be perfect for mounting on top of the mast.

Can't wait for some heavier weather!

shrubser, your video is set to private :(

Anyway I have the Waterproof Kodak Play Sport camera which takes fantastic HD video for the price. I just need to make a mount for it.

I think that should be it set to public now. Anyway, here are some photographs of the bracket in its almost finished state. The final touch is to drill a hole underneath where the camera sits. This is to accommodate the Tripod Mount (by GoPro) which should make it a bit easier to mount than my current lashing method. Oh, and you will inevitably make a mess of the plastic boom cap when you try to get it off. I've had to do it four times now since the rivets popped out due to corrosion. I can't imagine a new one will cost too much :)

Ok, so I went out yesterday afternoon in the Laser for the first time yesterday afternoon having sailed a Vago for 9 months or so.

I mounted the GoPro camera on the transom with the suction cup mount.

I think static works better than on the boom - (compared to Vago [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5YmppuIEFM&fmt=22"]YouTube- Trapeze Run[/ame] which works well) I don't know that it works so well on the Laser clip above as the mainsheet is in the way.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6C2ak888Ok&fmt=22"]YouTube- First outing in Laser[/ame]

I think the best mount would be one slightly further back than the transom. I'll work on something.

I realise lots of things are wrong in the video - missing my windicator quite a lot, and haven't worked out the tell tail on the main yet. Think I need more traveller on too?

(Anyone who wants to let me know how to embed the videos, that'd be great!)

Here are some recent footage from my new GoPro HeroWide bow mounted camera...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8w8JqrHAiE
I'm looking for a good solution for a simple transom mount too for my GoPro. Maybe something that clamps onto the lip overhang off to one side of the rudder? A safety line would be a must because a gybe could take the whole thing out.

810149352_XYomX-S.jpg

I bought my camera from Adam (laser sailor himself) at http://iceplanter.com/ for $139 about a month ago. Great service! bought the extra mount kit too for $18 so I could leave the mount setup on the bow. I also upgrade to a 4gb SD card for about 2 hours of continuous shooting. good fun! I can't see NOT sailing with this thing attached when I'm laser sailing now. :cool:

I know this thread has been dead for a while but I am planning to buy a GoPro Wide Hero and was wondering what mounting system you got because theres multiple ones and I want to make sure the one I buy will work on the front of the boat where you mounted yours.

I know this thread has been dead for a while but I am planning to buy a GoPro Wide Hero and was wondering what mounting system you got because theres multiple ones and I want to make sure the one I buy will work on the front of the boat where you mounted yours.

get the motorsport hero. its got the suction cup wich is great for the boat plus other great mounts that work well on the boat

get the motorsport hero. its got the suction cup wich is great for the boat plus other great mounts that work well on the boat

Do you know if the adhesive will be secure and if it will leave marks on the boat? I was thinking about the mount they use around a bar and try to attack that to the eye. I'm not sure what to use yet but the motor sports is another $50 but I can buy the specific mount on http://iceplanter.com/ for $20.

What I use is a combination of mounts and what is shown in the video. I use one v shaped bar which runs from a traveller fairlead, up above the back of the boat and then back to the other traveller fairlead.

I secure it onto the boat with a bolt which goes through the fairlead and then a nut on the other side. Then I use a line running from halfway up each side of the bar to the side of the boat (using hooks).

I secure the GoPro to the bar with THIS, this works by using the right sized bolt through the bar (from underneath), then a nut to stop the bolt rotating and finally the mount with the GoPro on it.

It works really well and is easy to put on. It doesn't move about when sailing at all.

For those who are still interested, I developed a GoPro mount for Laser sailboats, and I'm making it available to the whole Laser community.
See my post here

IMG_2439.jpeg

Back