Cam cleat installation

EZsailing

I just bought a Harken 241 swivel base cam cleat for occasional hands free sailing (the sheet, not tiller!).
I’m not the handyman type & want to know what tools I need to install it & the basic steps of installation.
Thanks!

For background, there is no block with this item:

Harken Swivel Cam Cleat H241
$72.99 from West Coast Sailing
The Harken Swivel Cam Cleat is a simple swivel base for main and jib sheets on small sailboats. Includes a swivel base ...

Drill holes so that the three nut attachments are forward of the cockpit lip. (Or four, depending).

The drill bit size should be as close as possible to the hardware used. The cleat arrives with a pliable rubber gasket that conforms, roughly, to the deck.

I'd suggest a back-up plate of some kind. (Seeing the spider cracks surrounding my cleat, my preference is a conforming/strain-relief plate, such as a cutting board section).

Since the cleat is the highest part of the deck, some "hit" could produce those cracks. (Two of my six Sunfish were racers, and both have the spider cracks at that location).

For a '76 Sunfish:
Attaching deck hardware

Flamethrower, 3 ton jack, garlic press, gronicle wrench....

Drill, drill bits, screwdriver with head to match fasteners, usually phillips, wrench to hold nylon stop nut

Basic Steps

swivel cam cleat tools.jpg

Reactions: tag
For background, there is no block with this item:

Harken Swivel Cam Cleat H241
$72.99 from West Coast Sailing
The Harken Swivel Cam Cleat is a simple swivel base for main and jib sheets on small sailboats. Includes a swivel base ...

Drill holes so that the three nut attachments are forward of the cockpit lip. (Or four, depending).

The drill bit size should be as close as possible to the hardware used. The cleat arrives with a pliable rubber gasket that conforms, roughly, to the deck.

I'd suggest a back-up plate of some kind. (Seeing the spider cracks surrounding my cleat, my preference is a conforming/strain-relief plate, such as a cutting board section).

Since the cleat is the highest part of the deck, some "hit" could produce those cracks. (Two of my six Sunfish were racers, and both have the spider cracks at that location).

For a '76 Sunfish:
Attaching deck hardware

Thanks for the tips. Will work on it this week.

Hurricane Irma destroyed all my Ryobi equipment. :(

There's not much torque (or battery strength); otherwise, there's nothing wrong with that Harbor Freight cordless drill (above). I just bought a HF saber saw including the same battery and charger for $24.

I could save myself 70 steps from the water to my tool storage. (Double that, if I forget to have charged a cordless-something). :confused:
11596870723114068979221490968823[1].jpg

But thinking this $15 item is in my future...

Last edited:
Hurricane Irma destroyed all my Ryobi equipment. :(

There's not much torque (or battery strength); otherwise, there's nothing wrong with that Harbor Freight cordless drill (above). I just bought a HF saber saw including the same battery and charger for $24.

I could save myself 70 steps from the water to my tool storage. (Double that, if I forget to have charged a cordless-something). :confused:
View attachment 27076
But thinking this $15 item is in my future...

I use very few power tools on the boats. That $15 item, I inherited from my grandfather, is my favorite drill.

Back