C14 - Tell me what I have?

c14_kent

Here are pictures of the sailboat I was given.

What should I call this? Capri14? Omega 14? Does it have a centerboard or keel? Which ever it is, it is missing and presumably on the bottom of Lake Mead. It has had some hull damage, but It looks like it has been repaired.

I have all the hardware but I will need to get new sails. I'm still looking for manuals and specs.

Has anyone have any expierience in restoring one from this state? Is it worth it?

Kent

Attachments

• hull plate2.JPG
    hull plate2.JPG
    5.6 KB · Views: 197
  • outside hull.JPG
    outside hull.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 231
  • inside hull 2.JPG
    inside hull 2.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 281
  • Inside hull 1.JPG
    Inside hull 1.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 223
  • bottom of hull.JPG
    bottom of hull.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 208
Its an old, beat Omega 14 built by Catalina. Centerboard model. From the pictures not worth alot, as is. Does it have a mast, boom , sails, rudder, centerboard, rigging, tiller? Fixed up, its maybe worth 400-600. Whats your plan?

I second Richard's analysis, except the cover over the centerboard slot is a bit puzzling. The colors totally remind me of my C15. :D

I'm guessing that boat may have had a fixed keel or fixed centerboard looking at the pictures again. Maybe an old rental boat. It could have had a steel plate that fit in the centerboard slot and that cover plate was the trim. Either way, it looks like alot of work to make it whole again.

1971 Omega restore

Okay, Catalina told me that I had a 1971 Omega. They claim that they never made one back then with a fixed Keel. They were also puzzled about the trim covering the centerboard slot. Thaey said that it had to have been heavily modified. There are not any signs of modifications, holes, changes in paint, etc. :confused: Is still want to try to restore this boat. Does anyone have any good resources or tips on prep and painting old cracked gel coat surfaces?

The boat is complete. I have most of my work cut out in the gel coat and fiberglass repair. The gel coat is really brittle.

I have all the hardware removed from the pictures.
I have the mast and boom and it's hardware.
I have the rubrail, and the rudder also.
I am only missing the centerboard assembly.

The pictures make it look worse than it really is. :eek:

Am I waisting my time with this?

Kent :confused:

I have a '78 (??) Omega that I've put a fair amount of work into.I suspect that the centerboad well cover may have been added by previous owner when the rubber centerboard seals on the bottom started leaking.It looks like the seals are missing in the picture.Replacement seals and centerboard are available from Catalina (I wound up replacing both of these and the rudder blade on mine).
I would say if you don't mind doing some work on it they're not bad boats...I don't imagine they perform as well as a 14.2 and lack the large storage compartment, but a good first boat IMO.

I have an older mod 1 that is complete except for the mast and vang. If you could use your mast off the Omega on it, you'd be there for much less work. Without trailer, $200.00. In San Diego County, CA.

Back