Bzzz line

mixmkr

So...reading Bzzz line is more buoyant....for the mainsheet..and not of couse wanting yellow poly ski tow rope, I purchase some. Before replacing my current double braid when launching, I toss the stuff in the water...and it sinks!!! What's up with that?
Kind of a waste of $15 and shipping.

I think the trouble is trying to quantify a value with the word 'More', as in
"More buoyant than a rock." Perhaps you can use it as a Dive-Line?

Unless you plan on your sheet doubling as a flotation device, does it matter if it floats?
Only since it was sold to me, giving me that impression that it would float. Desiring lighter line that wouldn't absorb water for light wind, downhill sailing. It will do for that....potentially, but I like the thickness of my 3/8 dbl braid for a grip. This 7mm is an amount skinnier.... like 5/16 or slightly less so.

I think the trouble is trying to quantify a value with the word 'More', as in
"More buoyant than a rock." Perhaps you can use it as a Dive-Line?

Actually the word "more" wasn't in the description. My alteration.
Intensity says; "The Sunfish sheet you've been waiting for! Single braid construction makes Bzzz Line kink-free, while the unique combination of filament and spun polyester with multi-filament polypropylene makes it soft on the hand, lightweight, and buoyant."

To me that indicates it floats. However that said, I bought it at West Marine, so I'll see what their ad says.

Ha....here's West's description....

"Light, strong, easy to grip and, because of its single braid construction, it won't kink. Moves smoothly through blocks and multi-part tackles for use as sheets or traveler controls. The fibers are a combination of spun polyester and multi-filament polypropylene so it's soft on the hand and won't absorb lots of excess water weight. Sold by the foot"

That also fooled me into believing it'd float as well.

Except for a shorter lifespan I can see anything that can beat
plain old Double Braided Cotton for being easier on the hands.
Low tech and original equipment for a Sunfish. Found on
Window Sash Cords, Hammocks, Halyards and anywhere there
is a lots of pulling.

Where do you get cotton dbl braid? I might fear it would get nasty fairly quick compared to the synthetics.

Well .... 6+hrs after getting this line in the water it is still wet and heavier. New England ropes.... Not too impressed. Will stick with my other dingy line choices.

Type "braided cotton rope" on Amazon, the choices are
many. Too many types of rope and too little time to
try them all. I looked up the Father of all ropes, Hemp.
Now comes in florescent colors, maybe a little rough on
the hands.

Yeah...new England, etc has some other good poly dingy lines. Groovy colors too. The bzzz stuff was a curiosity/gamble....and not really a winner in my book.

I bought the 7mm buzz line from Intensity and have raced with it twice. It is a huge improvement over the old style cotton line that I had on the boat, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Yeah...I'm using some 3/8 New England Sta set that aint anything special. Maybe throw the bzzz line on and see what's up. If not, the other poly line from New England seems like a great choice.... Light and easy to hold and won't absorb water.

Back