By the Lee

Still a novice, buy enjoying the ride.

I can keep up with about half the folk on an average by the lee leg. When Radials can pass me and kids fly past me, I know there is still a lot to learn.

What are the big points of sail trim when by the lee?

Put a telltale on the sail about a quarter of the way up the sail and about forty percent of the way back from the leech. If you aren't getting reverse flow over the sail around that point, trim the sail until you are.

Also, keep the board most of the way down. About ten inches up is all you need.

The telltale is something I feel stupid for not doing as I've been looking at my other telltales for reverse flow.

I'm good on the board not getting too high.

Thanks.

I have the DVD's but that is high wind stuff and it is the light wind stuff where the kids really fly by me.

I hadn't been to Cockerills site though. That is quite helpful.

Thanks

Sometimes the wind is very light where the tell tales won't flow, in that case you have to go by feel. This is when the boom is out past 90 degrees so the weight will hold it in position. As the wind increases you want to keep it around 90 degrees. Visually you can see the by the lee flow with the tell tales, you'll start feel how the boat responds.

Very interested in this area as I've had occassional success and occassional park whilst others flow by.

Quarter up, I'm thinking around the first battern, will try that straight away.
Thanks.

Back