by the lee - tell tales

Can you place any tell tales on the sail (and if so where) that you can adequately trim the sail while sailing by the lee or is it all by feel?

Re: by th lee - tell tales

I have not got one here but I have heard that one on the top batten pocket helps

Placing some telltales on the leach will help you get started, but you need to learn to do it by feel. If there's any wind at all, you will be a-rockin-and-a-rollin downwind and won't be able to spend much time staring at telltales.

I have a wind indicator on my mast just below the gooseneck, and tell tales on my sail. Together they show very well when I'm by the lee. The ones on the sail fly backward, and the indicator shows the wind on the same side as the sail. By the lee is definitely faster than broad reaching on flat water.

I have been using a gooseneck wind indicator and this indicates when I am by the lee, I guess I am looking for some indication from the sail that it is set properly. I have already got leech tell tales but these dont really indicate very well when the flow is reversed. I will try putting some 4" back from the leech and see how I go.

Totally agree that when its windy dont waste time looking for them and just go by feel and I think this works well, but the 8-12 knots days is when trimmed well will help.

I like to put a set of tell tales fore of the sail window. When the sun is shining brightly, I often can't see them at all on the other side of the sail, and they are visible through the window. I'm not so good at reading leach tell tales, yet. They really show the flow there too.

If there's any wind at all, you will be a-rockin-and-a-rollin downwind and won't be able to spend much time staring at telltales.

Interesting.

We all know that a well trimmed sail, with airflow attached to both sides is better that a stalled rag. In light winds we all pay attention to it, and try our best to keep the boat moving.

Why should that change just because the breeze gets up? :confused:

Racing in 20 knots, I still watch the sail and telltales, waves, other boats, and where I'm trying to get to.

Whilst you may have to re-arrange the times spent looking at each item, in my mind it's only once the combined wind and race duration has exceeded the fitness level that things such as sail trim should get neglected. But then it becomes a matter of damage limitation, AKA staying upright! :D

For by the lee sailing, you need to have the telltales inboard of the edge of the leech. They should be inboard at least by the length of the telltale + 2cm and not near seams or batten pockets.. They can be in as far as 12" if you want them to be a little less sensitive.

IMHO, it is much better to "feel" when you are going by the lee - in light air, you'll be holding the mainsheet as it exits the boom block (not thru the ratchet) between your thumb and index finder and as you move from DDW to by the lee, you'll feel the pressure increase in the sail via the mainsheet. In heavy air you'll also feel the hull and blades load up. Use the telltales to help you develop this "feel", but after a while you won't need to be a prisoner to them and can get your eyes back to puffs, waves and other boats

I still believe (and I've been at this game for longer than I really want to admit) that although feel is vitally important (after all, why else would we train in the middle of winter, with frozen fingers and toes?) that sometimes you still need to check the telltales. Whilst its true that you feel things load up, the idea is to reduce drag from the hull and foils. You know those few occasions when everything goes silent, and the boat feels really eerie? Thats usually a fleeting moment of the trim we strive for all the time, and never really attain.

That said, I'm rusty as hell ATM and managed to capsize twice yesterday in a constant 20 knots..... Whats that about???

My first tool for by the lee sailing is a masthead fly. I check that to be pointing over the leeward quarter and trim to it. Noone else in our fleet or local regattas use them and I think it is a real advantage.

Back