by the lee... bear off or head up without rudder movement??

JuanCH

Picture this. Running by the lee on starboard tack, if I want to head up a little or to bear off without the rudder how should I move my body, is it like when sailing upwind, I mean heel to windward to bear off and to leeward to head up? I am bit confused when it comes to running by the lee!! Thanks.

by the lee stardboard tack, --heel to windward to head up- the boom goes closer to the water
-- heel to leeward to bear off- the boom goes higher in the air.
is it like that??

Picture this. Running by the lee on starboard tack, if I want to head up a little or to bear off without the rudder how should I move my body, is it like when sailing upwind, I mean heel to windward to bear off and to leeward to head up? I am bit confused when it comes to running by the lee!! Thanks.

by the lee stardboard tack, --heel to windward to head up- the boom goes closer to the water
is it like that??

Downwind on stdb - heel to windward to bear off, ie sail even more by the lee, heel to leeward to head up.

Simple rule (assuming no rudder influence on steerage):

Body weight to leeward = head up

Body weight to winward = bear off

is it like that??

Nothing changes with hull kinetics because of the sail position.

I always think of it as somebody pushing forwards in the middle of the sail. It this "push" is to the port side of the boat it will turn you to starboard, of the push is to the starboard side of the boat it will push you to port.

Just think of the mast being horizontal and somebody pushing (or pulling) the top if the mast towards the bow. It is something that writing in text makes sound complex but once you have the "model" in your head that works for you is easy.

Of course there are other effects (like hull shape whilst healing, etc.).

Ian

I think Juan is a bit confused by the terms leeward and windward when he's BTL. Everyone has answered your question correctly Juan and you even have it almost correct in your first post ...

"by the lee stardboard tack, --heel to windward to head up- the boom goes closer to the water
-- heel to leeward to bear off- the boom goes higher in the air."

But when you say "boom goes closer to water" this is heeling to leeward, not windward. I know you are BTL and the wind is coming from the port/sail side, but windward and leeward are defined by which side of the boat the sail is on - not where the wind is coming from. A bit illogical maybe but easier to describe when the wind is behind you. Whichever side the sail is on is the leeward side.

Back