Buying racing sails

HPChief

New to the forum and the sport. Can anyone direct me to the right place to buy racing sails. Everything I've read seems to refer to North Sails and that's the name on the old sails at the club but they don't seem to sell them anymore (or at least not online). Where should I be looking? TYIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Laser Performance started having North use an orange LP sticker on the sails a few years ago. However, Laser Performance is attempting to change production to an unknown loft in a China. One of those racing sails was at the North Americans this year. It can be told apart from the Norths in that it has silver grommets, and in the case of the sail at the NAs, it is a brilliant white color - noticeably much brighter than new North sails. I suspect the $395 sails are Chinese made. Some dealers may still have North made sails, and the Worlds sails this year will be North-made.

do you plan to race in Sunfish Class events? if not, and your racing will just be a local club on the nearby lake, you can probably get away with a racing cut sail from Intensity Sails. Race Style Practice Sail for the Sunfish®

but if you are planning to race in the Sunfish Class events, get it from Laser Performance as Kent mentioned above.

Laser Performance started having North use an orange LP sticker on the sails a few years ago. However, Laser Performance is attempting to change production to an unknown loft in a China. One of those racing sails was at the North Americans this year. It can be told apart from the Norths in that it has silver grommets, and in the case of the sail at the NAs, it is a brilliant white color - noticeably much brighter than new North sails. I suspect the $395 sails are Chinese made. Some dealers may still have North made sails, and the Worlds sails this year will be North-made.
Any advice on how to track down North-made or is everyone just going to have to get used to whatever ends up coming out of China?

I have a new North race sail for sale. $425 which includes shipping to continental USA. If interested I can send photos. Contact me at cjo1023 at yahoo dot com.

Back