Buying a new Sunfish

K

KJY

The question I have is to all the Sunfish owners that purchase a new Sunfish what are some of the things to look for in a dealer that sell Sunfish. Thinking of getting a new Sunfish for this coming summer. I am looking around on the net. It looks like the Sunfish increased in price from $3,095 to $3,190 this year. As far as deals on the Sunfish it seam that fall is the best time because you get free stuff. I also looking at the boat shows and they are only taking a $100.00 at is tack on to the $3,190.00 shipping charge (that is no boat show special). I was woundering if you can buy a new Sunfish direct from Varguard and by pass the local dealer and get the Sunfish cheaper. I would greatly welcome any input in buying a new Sunfish.

Thank You,
Kevin Y. :)

I was woundering if you can buy a new Sunfish direct from Varguard and by pass the local dealer and get the Sunfish cheaper. I would greatly welcome any input in buying a new Sunfish.

Simple answer is NO - you can't buy direct from Vanguard.

But many dealers are prepared to negotiate. Shop around. See if they will throw in any extras you may need - cover, dollies, compass etc. Maybe they have a demo model they will sell cheaper. Another good way to get (almost new) boats cheaper is to buy a boat that has been chartered at an event like the Worlds. Get together with friends and see if the dealer will give you a fleet discount.

There is a little give from dealer to dealer, and you are correct that buying in the fall is a good deal as Vanguard will throw in free extra goodies like a beach dolly, covers etc. A World's Boat is also a good deal. It has been lightly used for one regatta and comes with all the racing bells and whistles included (upgraded line package, mainsheet ratchet block, extra long tiller extension, gooseneck adjuster and outhauls/downhauls with cleats.

Yet another deal is to see if a dealer has a left over, new boat from a earlier year. I just bought a "new", still in the box '04 boat last fall with a dolly at a better than '05 price. This is my first new boat in 12 years and will replace my trusty Pearson hull that was getting rather long in tooth.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY.

Thank you for advice Old Geezer and Alan in buying a new Sunfish. It always seems to sail better when you get a good deal on one.

Kevin Y. :)

Even if you live in RI, 10 minutes from Vanguard, you need to purchase from a dealer. Vanguard actually has it's own dealer right next door to the factory, but they operate as a separate business pretty much. I just purchased a 2005 boat from them in October. No extra deal from them, just the extra gear that the factory provides in their fall deal. The only "deal" is that I did not have to pay any shipping costs, and in RI there is no sales tax on boats.

Andy

Back