Buy a Laser for 750?

Buy it?

• Total voters

o3dw4rdo

I have the opportunity to buy a few year old laser for 750$....
including sails and mast and all that other crap (no dolly/trailer)...
but here is the prolbem...
it needs some work on the hull...
and it needs new hardware(not to much)...
and it needs a painjob...
should i buy it or do you think its to much money to spend for it?

... and:
  • How much work on the hull?
  • Are you sure the hull needs new paint (vs. a good polishing or just filling in some scratches)?

Depends on how soft it is and how much time you have vs how much money. I know 2 people this winter who took really old, wrecked boats, put a ton of work into redoing the bottoms and fixing all the delams. Their boats are probably 10-15 lbs heavy now, but they look really good and will be perfectly great for our club racing.

FYI I bought an 86 in excellent shape, for $1200, and by the time I bought a dolly, sail, updated rigging, blade bag .... I went over $2000 pretty fast.

thanks everyone for getting back so soon.
for the work on the hull.
it has a few cracks (3) on the outside-bottom, but the person selling it to my water sealed it from the inside.
and there is a hole in the cockpit but the people selling it to me are going to fix that as well.
and yea it defiantly needs a paint job
the whole boat is yellow.
and i was thinking about putting a jell coating on the hull to make it water proof and all shiny can i do that or no?

P.S. again i will still be paying only 750$ for it, even when they will be doing some of the work for me.
and i will mostly be using it for cruising and some club racing
and the year is like a '90

Depends on how soft it is and how much time you have vs how much money. I know 2 people this winter who took really old, wrecked boats, put a ton of work into redoing the bottoms and fixing all the delams. Their boats are probably 10-15 lbs heavy now, but they look really good and will be perfectly great for our club racing.

FYI I bought an 86 in excellent shape, for $1200, and by the time I bought a dolly, sail, updated rigging, blade bag .... I went over $2000 pretty fast.
When I bought my 81 I got the hull which was in perfect condition and a road legal trailer and a practice sail and racing sail. It also had good blades and a blade bag and new lines. I paid 1200 for it. I am still in the process of upgrading it but so far Ive put about 500 more into it.

$750 for a 90 hull

there are better boats out there, keep moving

There are much better deals out there... If I could talk them down to 500 or below would go for it... but I also do A LOT of fiberglass repair and gelcoat work. I'm in the process of rebuilding a '91 and they are pricey to make look pretty.

there are a couple of threads that i found to check what exactly is legal. i dont remember the adresses, but they are out there. check'em out

Fiberglass and gelcoat as needed, wetsanding, and lots of time. Simple and messy stuff... but it comes out sooo much better than awlgrip or anything else if you take your time and do a really, really good job. It's all I use..... The time is the hardest thing to find!!!!!!

We have sold 1974 Lasers for $1,000 in a matter of minutes...If it is servicable $750 for a beater boat is a good deal to get you out on the water....

Back