Bureaucracy gone mad

Status
Not open for further replies.

News Article - RYA exposes new regulations as unlawful
Click here to send us an event report
Author: Bethan Ancell
Date: 13:26 4 November 2004

The RYA is taking legal action to obtain a declaration from the High Court that the introduction of the regulation 4(5)(e) of the final Merchant Shipping (Vessel Traffic Monitoring and Reporting) Regulations was unlawful and to gain a quashing order to eradicate it.

The new Regulations make it a criminal offence, punishable by up to 2 years in prison and a fine of up to £5,000, if skippers do not comply with strict reporting requirements when a craft is involved in an incident or accident.

The definitions of ‘accident’ and ‘incident’ are very broad; examples include hitting a buoy during a race, a dinghy capsize, a flat battery, a faulty VHF radio, a crack in a transom, a torn sail or a berthing manoeuvre involving two craft touching would all have to be reported or criminalisation risked.

Rod Carr, RYA CEO commented “The final regulations were brought into force with no consultation with the RYA and therefore represent an unlawful breach of the Government’s duty to consult. We have been in emergency talks with the Government agency responsible for the Regulations, the MCA, to try and understand how this happened, and to ascertain whether due process was followed.

On Thursday 28 October the Government confirmed, in response to a Parliamentary question posed on behalf of the RYA, that no recreational boating interests were consulted before the Regulations were extended. We have been given reasons why the regulations have been brought in without consultation but we feel these are not substantive.”

The RYA’s view on the Regulations is that they will not contribute towards safety but will merely place an unnecessary and unjustified burden on the boater.

taken from yachts and yachting

What the @*(# ? Obviously the writers of this measure have no idea what dinghy sailing is! And I thought legislation like that was an American thing. Looks like your PM and legislature learned more from our President and Congress than just "nation-building."
At least in this case, you seem to have recourse for review. In our country, we're gearing up for 4 years of semi-fascism.
Hope things work out for the best.

you know just to piss em all off, you should file lots & lots of incidents, wonder how long it'll take em to realise that they have totally f****d up. man, it would be hell for them if they brought those regs in down under, just imagine, on the startline of a sabot nationals, where they get 72+ kids in sabots on one startline, & there's heaps of incidents in those nationals.

alot of people are saying the same thing about filing lots of incidents.

but surley how will the rya know what you have done its like if you are driving your car on a country road (ince thats the only place they dont have speed cameras) and you are speading your not going to run down to the bobbies and tell them you were speeding.

Despite how the law may be interpreted, surely the intent here was for commercial shipping activity and not recreational boating.

The best way to get rid of bad laws is to enforce them vigorously.

Surely there are MPs and other government officials who sail. Surely people can watch them and log every "incident" in which they are involved. Could you not then follow up and demonstrate that they did not file the appropriate reports? And then write letters to the editors of the newspapers asking why MPs and government officials are being allowed to commit heinous criminal offenses without being prosecuted?

torrid said:
Despite how the law may be interpreted, surely the intent here was for commercial shipping activity and not recreational boating.

reading again shows "The definitions of ‘accident’ and ‘incident’ are very broad; examples include hitting a buoy during a race,
a dinghy capsize, a flat battery, a faulty VHF radio, a crack in a transom, a torn sail or a berthing manoeuvre involving two craft touching would all have to be reported or criminalisation risked."

why would that be comercial shipping

144679 said:
Ben good to see u here.

we had a great race on saturday.

i really enjoyed it
cheers
haha yes it was close i certainly had difficultly getting past you, some of those gusts weren't nice though :)

spaming

xxoneringxx said:
He told me to spam here
Jason, what´s your serious problem? If you want some help in sailing your Laser or in understanding rules and politics of Lasersailing, this forum probably can help you - but maybe less in other problems ;)
Thanks
Ludwig

i feel that i need to appoligise, because jason dixon, saw me on the laser forum this morning whilst using a public computer, so that is where he must have got the address from.

please note that he is also responsable for all the spmming on the topper class association website. he has been kicked off so many times in the end theu had to stop everybody registering. again i must appoligise

p.s. Jason dixon has never set foot on a laser or any other sailing vessel.
i beleive also that he needs help.

exucse me mr spam man but i think you are quite slack g@y and F#^K*D in the head ok i am sorry to all the people that do not injoy my foul language but ........ i think he needs it jason what you are doing is just plain ideotic ok plz leave this site & the poor topper site & never return or i will be forced to kill you using the method described in my signature ok thx

Hello Everyone,
I am sorry I didn't catch this earlier. The Laser Forum will not tollerate this behavior on our site. If the spamming continues we will not turn the other cheek and stop registration, however we will prosecute to the fullest extent of US and UK laws. This site will NOT allow this behavior. Please continue any further discussion on the original topic in a new thread. This one is now CLOSED.

Thanks for using The Laser Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back