Buoyancy Aid

JohnG

Which buoyancy aid does everyone prefer? I'm trying to decide between the Gill Pro Racer and the Zhik. Is the Zhik worth the extra $40?

Thanks.

They are both pretty similar. The Zhik vest has less buckles exposed (1 big one instead of 4 smaller ones on the Gill)

It makes the Zhik one a bit more 'sleek' if you will, but both are pretty low bulk and pliable to fit snug.

hi,

just to throw a "curve ball" in, have you considered the gill compressor vest or the spinlock c60 buoyancy vests, they are both the new "type" of buoyancy aid and are about the same price as the zhik.

I use a Gill Compressor Vest and love it. Most comfortable PFD I've ever had as it stretches to conform to your body shape/size whatever wacky acrobatic act you are performing.

Another nice thing, especially here in northwest N.A. is that it also helps to keep you warm. Does a decent job of keeping me afloat in the water too.

I generally wear a spray jacket or rash shirt overtop and apparently, when I have the latter on (a white one no less), I look like the Michelin man. I'm planing to get a different color rash shirt this season....

The problem with the Compressor vest to me is that there isn't a storage pocket. I'd want one with a zip pocket to store some food or gloves.

Although the Zhik is very popular, it is not legal under ISAF rules in the US. It is not a Coast Gaurd approved vest, but it is EU and Aus approved. The US distributor told me it cost $250,000 to get CG approval, and Zhik was not that big of a company ...yet.

On the other hand, it is a very nice jacket that most authorities are letting adult competitors use. Dont even attempt to let your kid wear one as they will not let them race in the Opti fleet or most sanctioned US Sailing events with this vest.

The Zhik harness is the best around for you trapezers out there.

Although the Zhik is very popular, it is not legal under ISAF rules in the US. It is not a Coast Gaurd approved vest, but it is EU and Aus approved. The US distributor told me it cost $250,000 to get CG approval, and Zhik was not that big of a company ...yet.

On the other hand, it is a very nice jacket that most authorities are letting adult competitors use. Dont even attempt to let your kid wear one as they will not let them race in the Opti fleet or most sanctioned US Sailing events with this vest.

The Zhik harness is the best around for you trapezers out there.

People break the rule regardless. I always see it in the SIs but no one will enforce it.

Back