Bungee Cord for Backstay

nano4588

I have heard some members mention about using some pieces of bungee cord to keep the slack backstay from hanging in the cockpit. Wondering if anyone has any pictures of their set up with this. I know it sounds pretty straightforward, but wanted to see what others are doing in case someone has a "nice" way of doing it. I can just tie some on, but wondering if there are any ways to make it less janky than just tying some knots around it. Thanks!

I have heard some members mention about using some pieces of bungee cord to keep the slack backstay from hanging in the cockpit. Wondering if anyone has any pictures of their set up with this. I know it sounds pretty straightforward, but wanted to see what others are doing in case someone has a "nice" way of doing it. I can just tie some on, but wondering if there are any ways to make it less janky than just tying some knots around it. Thanks!
I do not have a picture of my set up. But mine is a 2:1 setup. I have a microblock shackled to the BS at the split , before the bridle. I have a nylon snap end attached to top of bridle assembly led through block and tied off on pulpit.

Here are some tips and pictures to help you set up a clean and effective solution:

Choose the right bungee cord: You'll want a bungee cord that is strong enough to hold the backstay securely in place, but not so tight that it puts unnecessary tension on the rigging. A good rule of thumb is to use a cord with a diameter that is slightly smaller than the diameter of the backstay.

Measure and cut the bungee cord: Measure the length of the backstay from the mast to the point where you want to secure it, and cut a length of bungee cord that is slightly longer than this distance.

Attach the bungee cord: Attach the bungee cord to the backstay using zip ties or small carabiners. Make sure the attachment points are secure and won't slip or come loose.

Secure the bungee cord: Once the bungee cord is attached to the backstay, stretch it to the attachment point on the boat and secure it using a hook or a cleat. Make sure the tension is enough to hold the backstay in place, but not so much that it puts unnecessary stress on the rigging.

Back