Bumps in hull

Fairly new boat. 194 xxx. Observed significant bumps in the hull underneath mast step. Is this normal. Surely is must affect performance and a smooth hull must be faster?

Attachments

• laser bumps.jpg
    laser bumps.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 69
hi i have a brand new boat (194846) and unless the mast has been dropped in with a huge force that shouldnt happen just get onto the phone to laser and if ur guarntee is still valid get a new hull! it shouldnt happen unless its has been pushed extremely hard all day every day non stop even then it shouldnt it may be a design fault or something i wouldnt use it until it gets sorted!

The mast step "bump" is typical and common, I can't recall seeing a bottom that has fully cured that doesn't have it, unless the owner has re-faired it.

My laser has had that since not long after I got it (I've owned it since new). Its a regular thing with lasers and not a lot you can do about it.

I'm more worried about my deck developing big lumps where it is delaminating. Not impressed at all as it can only have been caused by a fault at manufacture. Will be showing laser the problem at the nationals and see what response I get then.

The bumps are caused by the immense downforce thats been put on your mast via the Cunningham hole system. It is the same force that causes the “leaky mast step” in older Lasers.
The forces only get bigger when the boom goes out and you do not release your cunningham. It’s a miracle the Lasers only get some bumps, instead of hull-mast-step separation.
The new Cunningham upgrade, would have been a great opportunity to improve this.

I would not worry too much about loss of speed.

Back