building laser

No only is it not class legal to build a Laser hull, it is a copyright violation (illegal). The design is copyrighted, and owned by the class/builders.

Yeah, it sure would be nice to build one out of carbon/epoxy - it wouldn't get soft for 20 years!

i guess i couldnt buy a licence for a couple hundred just to build 1 boat??? , it would probably end up being a few million to buy the whole laser performance

Before the Iron Curtain fell, there were Russian copies of Lasers. They were pictured in an old Yacht/Racing (pre Sailing World) magazine.

if you were going to build it out of carbon you really might as well just build a another boat that is more modern and u could still race comptitivly

Or race it...anywhere.

Or call it a Laser...

Or even use the same design (right?)

I think the fact that it would be made of a fully different material would mean it's not the same design... even if it was, if you are buiilding a boat and going to use it to beat around your lake, I doubt very seriously that "the builder" could prove they have been harmed in any way whatsoever.

If you are building a boat to sell and you are shaping it exactly like a laser, you are trying to capitalize on someone else's intellectual property for personal gain... if you are just building a boat you can sail around in, I would invite them to press charges... assuming you would even get caught.

Or even use the same design (right?)

I don't see a problem with using the same design... patent laws don't stop you from making something for your own personal use - they just stop you from selling such things to other people.

so could or couldnt i build a laser hull and put an old hulls deck on it ?
and locally race it
just for me

thanks

so could or couldnt i build a laser hull and put an old hulls deck on it ?
and locally race it
just for me

thanks

No. Question though, is why? For the price of that much glass, matte, resin, and gelcoat, I'm sure you can find another used hull floating around somewhere; especially in Fla.

Or if you really wanted to build a boat, why choose a laser, find a design for another class that can be made out of wood

Back