Class Politics building a laser

merida_sailing

Hi everyone:

I sailed this august a laser in Trinidad & Tobago, and it was one of the coolest things I've done. I had never sailed, but I definitly had a great time.

The reason for this is post is two fold:

a) Where I live sailing is not too popular, and if you buy a boat, they are really expensive... I also like to build things, so I decided to give it a try and build a small sailing boat. The Laser seems like a good option because -apparently- is not a complex boat. Now, I just found out about the standards and all... so, I decided to write to you and ask: would a laser be a good option? and if so, where can I find the detailled standards ?

b) I'm a graduate student, doing a master in applied mathematics. Now this may seem like a odd question, but does anybody around here know about a good book or internet link that explains well the math behind sailing? I believe it would be a nice proyect to somehow simulate a sailboat... I've been looking around for some months -since august- but haven't found anything really usefull.

I'm aware that the questions are a bit odd, but well, I haven't found any other place where to ask these questions!

Thanks.

merida_sailing said:
Where I live sailing is not too popular, and if you buy a boat, they are really expensive... I also like to build things, so I decided to give it a try and build a small sailing boat. The Laser seems like a good option because -apparently- is not a complex boat. Now, I just found out about the standards and all... so, I decided to write to you and ask: would a laser be a good option? and if so, where can I find the detailled standards ?

There is another similar thread just started today. Sorry, you can't build a Laser--I mean you can, but you can't do it legally.
http://www.laserforum.org/showthread.php?t=5311

doyou really believe that it would be cheaper to build a laser or any fiberglass boat, then fully outfit it with spars, blades, lines, and a sail? or to purchase one ?
i realize you live in a paradise, but unless you have lots of time and funds it would be way cheaper to buy a used boat ( say in Curacao, or similiar) and ship it to yourself. plus, anything you make yourself would not legally be a Laser. good luck with your decision.

merida_sailing said:
Hi everyone:

b) I'm a graduate student, doing a master in applied mathematics. Now this may seem like a odd question, but does anybody around here know about a good book or internet link that explains well the math behind sailing? I believe it would be a nice proyect to somehow simulate a sailboat... I've been looking around for some months -since august- but haven't found anything really usefull.

I'm aware that the questions are a bit odd, but well, I haven't found any other place where to ask these questions!

Thanks.

Hi - welocme to laser sailing. I'll second the recommendation to go find a used one, even if you have to ship it. They are pretty light boats.

As far as your 2nd question, the following book was mentioned in another thread. I've not read it so don't know if it would be appropriate, but if youare trying to simulate something mechanical yougenerally start with the physics :

"The physics of sailing." Bryan Anderson.

I third the getting a new boat suggestion because even if you did do it yourself it would end up being extremely expensive because you would have to deal with making a mold and everything and it would probably not come out right the first time and it would end up more expensive than even a new boat. i think. but as to building a boat at all there are plenty of plans out there for boats, they are primarily wooden but there might be some for fiberglass boats. good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Lottsa great boats are meant by theri designers to be built by hobbyists at home. Check out the Moth, Fireball, Snipe, OK Dinghy, Lightning, Mirror Dinghy, Mirror Dinghy 16, Optimist Pram, Sunfish, sailfish, Penguin, Windmill..and lots of others.

Lasers simply are not well suited for building one at a time and the resulting product would not really be a Laser anyway.

Good luck!!

Hi folks,
I think that building a duplicate of a Laser yourself is a wonderful idea..You wouldn't do it to save money on a boat however..My 18 foot cedar strip canoe cost less than $400 (9 years ago)..I'm pretty confident a cedar strip Laser hull could be built for less than $1000 and weigh about the same..One of the best reasons to build a Laser is the availability of new and used gear to fit it out with..Another reason would be the aesthetic beauty of it..For example,is there a more beautiful sailing dinghy than a hand made Swift Solo?..And yet another great reason is the feeling of accomplishment and pride of sailing a fine boat made by your own hands..So you couldn't legally sail in a regatta..You could probably sail with the locals at the weekly race night if they're not too snooty..

a book you mite like to check out is the "high proformance sailing manual" by frank bethwaite. it goes into depth and has the physics side of things.

merida_sailing said:

Have you seen the Aero-Hydrodynamics of Sailing by C.A. Marchaj? I beleive it's something of a standard reference work but the math has always been way beyond me (that's why I was a history major!).

Aero-Hydrodynamics of Sailing on Amazon.com

Back