"builder supplied" fittings

I bought an older ('79) Laser that I upgraded to new control functionality. $$ was an issue. Drilled no new holes in deck. Mounted turning blocks to a piece of aluminum angle ($0.50 vs $40) and the cleats on a wooden block ($20.00 vs. $95). Why should this be illegal as I have simply duplicated the function of the upgraded system at far less cost?

Also, why the prohibition on mounting compasses on inspection port covers? The boat I bought had lots of ports and nowhere else to put a compass.

It's illegal because you aren't a supplier. Read the rules regarding that part of the rig and look for words like "optional" and "additional". You can use the supplier upgrades, you can replace old Holt Allen blocks or add blocks, but you cannot build your own fittings or add additional sheeves to Holt Allen blocks.

As far as compasses on hatches goes, they may be trying to retain the watertight integrity of the hull as much as they can. Go to gouvernails profile and visit his website. He has a page of photos that include mounting a compass.

I can read. "Because you're not a builder" does not address the original question of WHY "builder supplied" deck mounts? It just seems silly to say you can upgrade all these functions with blocks of your choosing, but require the purchase of bases from "The Builder" at a cost of $75 when you can accomplish exactly the same function without any new holes in the deck at a cost of about $1. Esp when the objective is to improve the controls of an old beater of a boat.

The term "one-design" refers to a class boats' strict standards for materials and methods used in construction. Ultimately, each Olympic boat -- built only by ISAF licensed boat builders to precise size and weight specifications -- is identical to another in its class. The purpose of one-design class racing is to allow the best sailor -- not the best boat -- to win.

If they let you (for racing purposes) build your own fittings, they would not be one design anymore. Anyone with enough cash could forge all their own fittings, from titanium if they liked. Not everyone would be looking to upgrade an old boat on the cheap. More likely they would be looking to find an edge on a brand new boat, just like other development classes.

You can do as you please as long as you don't try to race it in an ILCA event.

Force,

I can understand where you are coming from. There is a lot of debate about this particular issue - see the threads about Intensity Sails for example.

One design is a double edged sword in many ways - on the plus side, it means that everyone is supposed to be equal and you are not constantly having to shell out dosh for new stuff - change is *very* slow in the laser class. On the minus side, it means in order to race in sanctioned events, where boats are measured etc before you are allowed to race, you have to have class legal stuff - aka - supplied by 'authorised' builders. This is done to prevent the sort of thing that Chainsaw describes above.

Having said all that, I think you'll find that your local fleet may not give a rats a$$ about who built your blocks. They may be happy that there is another boat on the line. I have found that if you do something out of line, they will let you know that you crossed it. In general, this is what I have found - for example - I was always catching my tiller on the taveler cleat, so I figured, hey, I will just put a bit of a bend in it and it'll clear. Worked like a charm and I was so pleased with it. Then I took it to a sanctioned event - they didn't stop me from racing, but other competitors did mention it. Had I won (Which I did not and rarely do), I could have been chucked for it.

Best of luck.

Matt

one other issue that comes up with "off the shelf" parts is safety. the replacement parts you're using should be marine quality. also, they should be rated for some of the loads and conditions that they may be exposed to.

Back