Brummel Hooks -- Y/N?

Petrel

When I was at the boat shop, I forgot about these oddities (are they oddities) mentioned in the rigging. I have to make a trip back to return a few things, buy more things, so I was wondering:

1. Are these inexpensive little gizmos nice to have? worth it? I'm not sure what they do but my browser and Glen-L suggest that they are a paired hardware set that allows for easy hooking / connecting of the halyard with the ? sail. I guess?

Do other SF recreational sailers find them helpful?

Also, just curious, does anyone (recreational, not race, sailing) just use "the hook" and sail without a ratchet block for the mainsheet? (no rock throwing!) Truly, I'm curious. I've got a lame shoulder in my fav arm and will probably have to fit my SF machine with a sort of ratchet block. Any other shoulder gimps among us? The other day I sailed my "Cooler" -- Styrofoam(R) cored flat hulled "sailboard" boat with my little puppymill dog onboard. No big wings (my doggie wears a PFD ), but just from holding my arm/hand up with the mainsheet, I was very sore that night and the next day.

I'm not even sure about how to tie on the halyard to the mast or yard or whatever. I gather you can just tie a simple knot, and do not need any "brummel hooks." Eh?

Because in a Sunfish the sail is pretty much permanetly attached to the spars the Brummel hooks do not seem to be of much use in that aspect. I can see their use in attaching the shock cord of the centerboard, as the centerboard is usually removed from the boat after sailing. As far as the rechett block vs the hook. The block still takes arm strength, as does the hook. To eliminate the are factor a cam cleat would have to be used and there has been a lot of discussion on the plus's and minus's of cleating the main sheet on theSunfish. On one note, when I used the 'hook' for the mainsheet I was able to press my leg with the mainsheet between it and the cockpit edge after going under the hook. Did that when I was raising the centerboard. Can't do that with the rachett block.

Brummel clips are used for situations where you frequently need to hook up and un hook two ends of a line. They are used on the centerboard shock cord on the SF and on keel boats they are commonly used on signal halyards so you can quickly add or remove various flags/pennants. Brummel clips are not used on any sailing related running rigging such as halyards, sheets etc. A main halyard would normally be attached using a bowline or a swivel snap shackle, but on your SF something like a round turn with two half hitches would do the trick.
If your arm is as weak as that of Mr. Burns on the Simpsons you might have to use a two to one purchase. (This will of course result in a mainsheet that is twice as long as the stock one.)

The block still takes arm strength, as does the hook.
The whole purpose behind the ratchet block is to reduce the strength necessary to hold the sheet as the wind increases. I'll venture the arm strength needed is lessened by a good 25%.

The hook offers holding friction too, but that tends to get negated by the additional friction added if you sheet in while wrapped on the hook.

Brummel Hooks 1. Are these inexpensive little gizmos nice to have? worth it? I'm not sure what they do ...
Do other SF recreational sailers find them helpful?

I'm not even sure about how to tie on the halyard to the mast or yard or whatever. I gather you can just tie a simple knot, and do not need any "brummel hooks." Eh?

Here's a link to the free copy of the Sunfish setup manual. It includes step-by-step illustrated instructions for installing the halyard and raising the sail. ;)

http://www.laserperformance.com/main...unfish(US).pdf

This is the latest manual so you'll find some differences with older boats. It should be easy to make the translation from old to new when you encounter something that doesn't look exactly as it does on your boat.

Back