Broken rudder pin?

btsunfish

My heavily corroded rudder spring pin snapped off last season, sending one of my kickup springs to Davey Jones' locker. I now have only one kickup spring and the broken stub of the pin hanging out of one side of my rudder. How is this pin held in the rudder and how should I replace it?

My heavily corroded rudder spring pin snapped off last season, sending one of my kickup springs to Davey Jones' locker. I now have only one kickup spring and the broken stub of the pin hanging out of one side of my rudder. How is this pin held in the rudder and how should I replace it?
You're gonna say D'OH when you read what's next...

Sunfish Dealer
  • Tension Spring p/n 79464 pkg of 2 $11.60
  • Spring Post p/n 79501, pkg of 4 $14.75
The pin just pushes out. Some are more snug fitting than others.

I just bought a new spring post 4 days ago and they charged $6 for the one at a Laser Performance Dealer. Mine succumbed to the salt water after 31 years. The one they sold me was old stock aluminum but the new ones that I see seem to be made of stainless steel maybe someone could confirm if new stock are stainless. I sailed one season on one spring but do not recommend that as uneven tension on spring post. I used a 1 ton geared arbor press to remove and install my pin a couple of seasons ago when I replace the rudder. I did not want to bend the aluminum pin or tare out wood by hitting it with a hammer. Your friendly local garage or electric motor shop would have a press and it only takes a couple of minutes for the total operation.
><>Don<><

Back