Broken Cockpit Floor

LooserLu

LooserLu
At the club, one of our very old Laser (built in South Africa in the early 80ties) got a broken cockpit floor. The foor is also complete loose of the keel stiffener. Some older cracks have been repaired before with fibre glass, but those seem not very trustful to me. How to repair that floor durable? (Inspection ports, of course, I need at the portside. I guess at the rear deck and at the centerboard side). This hull is for recreational sailing, not racing.

I am going racing the next 2 days so there is no answer of me before Monday evenenig. Thanks in advance for useful hints.

Ciao
LooserLu
P.S. to admin's: I tried to upload a photo here (by "upload a file"button) but it is not to be seen here (although ist has been uploaded...) Why?????????

OK, I don't know either. The picture uploads. Is there something to be done after uploading the pic? It doesn't give you a URL somewhere to insert, does it?

...Is there something to be done after uploading the pic? It doesn't give you a URL somewhere to insert, does it?
If I remember correct, I got the choice between "add an URL for the source of the photo" or "direct upload". I've chosen the direct way, in reason my FB account is closed "for friends only". I now try it again here to upload 2 (different) photos now. ... Ohps, it works, great! Must have to do with the size of the photo (below they are size 800x600, 29 kB). The original "multi-photo"-image.jpg, what I wanted to upload, probably is "to big" in its size. Thanks for help.
IMAG0946.jpg

IMAG0943.jpg

Thanks.

My plan now is: I drill several small holes in the centerline of the floor, not deep just only to be able to inject 2 k epoxy resin between the loose floor and the base stringer inside of the hull, to fix the loose floor again with the stringer. I close the drilled holes with suitable white tape, and then, I have to add some heavy pavement stones on the floor during the resin is hardening.
Aft that, I cut out an inspection port portside at the centerboard trunk and try to reinforce the floor from inside with fibreglass layers and epoxy resin. This will be not easy, I know, as the cracks in the floor are a bit away from the front wall (My hope: my arm is long enough, hihi).
Aft that: I take 2- 3 in lenght suitable (diameter 10 mm) cable conduits (from home depot) and fix them parallel to the centerline to the ground of the hull (= new drainage-tubes) and fill the space between floor and hull with 2 k Polyurethane foam (one can is by far enough for both sides of the cockpit floor at centerline stringer, I guess).
My idea is: The hardened PU-foam will give new staiblity to the soft cockpit floor and the cable conduits drain water (from front to rear) that probaly came inside of the hull aft a strong sail.
From the air-side of the cockpit, I clean the area of the cracks and put 2 layers of fiberglass & epoxy-resin on it. Then I sand careful that reinforced area, clean it from dust of the sanding and paint it with new white "Toplac" of "International" Yachtpaint.
Anything forgotten?

Thanks
LooserLu

Back