Bridle question

Flieger

I've see bridles with a loop in the center, an other without. What are the advantages of one over the other?
SUN-91054-395x393.jpg
sf122-whole-bridle_1.jpg

I use line, don’t race, and it works well. It also doesn’t chafe the tiller as much. Another advantage is that I can untie one end and use it to hold the booms together when rolling the sail.

BTW, and as you may know, line used to be class legal. But, and as usual, in this sport, someone figured out how to rig it so they gained an advantage and the class ended up going back to the wire.

Hope that helps.

I use line and a bowline knot on the end of the mainsheet, to go around the bridle. Works fine. Not using a block or a "clip" keeps things from banging around, when slack.

L and VW what do you propose for the cable with your DIY method? Bare cable as shown would be unwise.
They're stainless steel, and pretty smooth--with shrink tube over the ferrules. They're to get installed on boats to sell, so I don't care, once I've got the buyer's money!
:p

OK, one's for my personal craft, which replaces a bridle made of shock cord--not the best material, but it's lasted a couple of seasons. :cool:

They're stainless steel, and pretty smooth--with shrink tube over the ferrules. They're to get installed on boats to sell, so I don't care, once I've got the buyer's money!
:p

OK, one's for my personal craft, which replaces a bridle made of shock cord--not the best material, but it's lasted a couple of seasons. :cool:

Let’s see how long your sheet lasts, sawing away against a stainless cable.

Back