Bridle loop screw hole repair

shorefun

I had one of the screws that holds the bridle loop to the deck break off.

What it seems is just under the fiberglass is about a 3/16" aluminum plate that is threaded by the self threading screws.

I used a diamond tool on a Dremel to grind out the screw. I misjudged the depth and went too far. In the process I made the hole in the plate too big.

What I decided to try is make an insert. I have a lathe so I got some aluminum scrap and bored a hole in for the 8-32 screw then tapped it 1/4-28. When I tapped it I used the fact the tap has a taper to it and I left a shoulder on the plug. This way the plug will jamb into the threaded hole. I also used tread lock to hold it in the hole. I cut a slot on the top so I used a screwdriver to screw it in place.

From the picture labeled holes you can see the glass area and the aluminum area.

Still waiting warmer weather to fix some small holes in this hull. It is a 96 Peterson built and the more I look the more I find voids that will need to be repaired. The hull has some use on it and it was used at a beach. It apparently was taking on water as there is silicon beads around everything. I did find a small hole in the keel that may be the culprit. It was hidden and looked ok, but when poked with a sharp point it went right through.

My yacht clubs youth program is in need of Fish so I plan on letting them use this one for the program. Figure it is already somewhat beat up.

Attachments

• holes.JPG
    holes.JPG
    466 KB · Views: 33
  • inserted.JPG
    inserted.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Screwinsert.jpg
    Screwinsert.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 37
I had one of the screws that holds the bridle loop to the deck break off.

What it seems is just under the fiberglass is about a 3/16" aluminum plate that is threaded by the self threading screws.

I used a diamond tool on a Dremel to grind out the screw. I misjudged the depth and went too far. In the process I made the hole in the plate too big.

What I decided to try is make an insert. I have a lathe so I got some aluminum scrap and bored a hole in for the 8-32 screw then tapped it 1/4-28. When I tapped it I used the fact the tap has a taper to it and I left a shoulder on the plug. This way the plug will jamb into the threaded hole. I also used tread lock to hold it in the hole. I cut a slot on the top so I used a screwdriver to screw it in place.

From the picture labeled holes you can see the glass area and the aluminum area.

Still waiting warmer weather to fix some small holes in this hull. It is a 96 Peterson built and the more I look the more I find voids that will need to be repaired. The hull has some use on it and it was used at a beach. It apparently was taking on water as there is silicon beads around everything. I did find a small hole in the keel that may be the culprit. It was hidden and looked ok, but when poked with a sharp point it went right through.

My yacht clubs youth program is in need of Fish so I plan on letting them use this one for the program. Figure it is already somewhat beat up.
Nice work!!!!!
let us know how well it works and seats in place it looks good!

It lets me torque down the screw. I am not ready to put in in for good at this point. Just something I could do with the temps we have here.

Will you use some kind of epoxy putty, 5200 or Loc-Tite when you set the thread insert into the deck (plate)?

Just as a point of order, I am assuming this is a 90 Pearson hull? In 1996 Sunfish were made by SLI, and no form named Peterson ever made Sunfish.

Yes it was made by SLI. There are lots of voids under the gel coat!!!!

I used some locktite but I also have the threads with a taper as I did not flip the die and square the threads. So it would also get tighter as I screwed it down.

One issue, for me, with using a sheet metal screw was size. To get a grip I think I would have had to go with a larger head screw.
I have a lathe and it is kind of quick for me to turn some scrap to make the part. It is good practice.

When time and money allow (that is economically feasible) I try to make what I am doing like like factory. I also do antique car restoration. I have a 31 Model A Ford Cabriolet I have mostly restored, need to finish the engine. Then I have to work on the really expensive cloth parts of the car.

Back