Bridle for boat lift??

cmnative

Anyone out there have any experience/suggestions/advice for a bridle/harness to lift your capri 14.2 instead of using boat ramp?? My club has two boat lifts that we use instead of ramps. The lifts are in the shape of an inverted "L", with an electric 2 ton hoist/winch on the end. They are primarily used for the J-24 class, but the ramps can not be driven on with trucks to haul the trailer. Does anyone have any experience in how and where to place "lifting eyes" on the boat?? Some other owners just drilled the transom and instaleed the lifting eyes. Other people were fortunate and thier boat had lifting eyes already installed.

Lifting Bridle .... No drilling required

All of the boats other than the Lasers and Sunfish are put in the water with lifts at my club. When I first bought my boat I contacted Catalina for a lifting bridle and they told me that they did not make one but could send me plans for bridle for the C14.2's big brother the C16.5 and I could make my own.

Email me at [email protected] and I can forward the plans to you. I will also try to post them to the forum tonight for any one else who wants them. I also have a step-by-step construction narrative (with pics) from the C16.5 forum that you can use as an outline. Its real easy to make if you can tie simple knots and can find some time to adjust the rig at the hoist at your club.

Here is a basic overview:
- rig is a basic 4 legged bridle.
- all 4 legs connect to a 1000 lb working strength SS ring to connect to hoist.
- first replace the shroud adjuster cotter pins with u-shackles.
- build two short forward legs to connect from ring to u-shackles.
- build rear double leg that connects to ring, run out the cockpit drain, back in the opposite cockpit drain, and up to the ring.
- DO NOT drill the transom or connect to the hiking strap pad eye. I discussed this with Catalina and they suggest going through the cockpit drains only. The drains are reinforced to take the stress and it spreads the force over a wider are than a single drilled-in pad eye.
- I use caribiners where the rig connects to the boat for easy hook-up.

Happy Sailing,
Chris E.
________
medical marijuana

Back