Bridle conversion 3 to 2-loop

Fish76

Hi. I have a 1976 sunfish with the 3 loop bridle. The mainsheet has the brass clip at the end for the center loop. I'm interested in replacing the 3-loop with a 2-loop. What would you recommend I do to then attach the old sheet to a block on the bridle? Is there a preferred way to do this? Thank you!

You can just attach the hook to the bridle letting it slide, put a block on the bridle then attach the hook to that (not really needed), or just remove the hook from the mainsheet and tie the end of the mainsheet to the bridle letting the rope slide on the bridle.

Thanks, but wouldn't the bare line/sheet just get destroyed running back and forth without a block? Or if I used some other line to bridge the bridle to the mainsheet clip? I did just discover there is a swivel boom block that's available that I could clip the finished mainsheet end to. Maybe that's the ticket.

You definitely don’t need a block. Bowline tied with main sheet will last forever (assuming your 2 loop bridle is not bare wire!!)

:cool:
Thanks, but wouldn't the bare line/sheet just get destroyed running back and forth without a block? Or if I used some other line to bridge the bridle to the mainsheet clip? I did just discover there is a swivel boom block that's available that I could clip the finished mainsheet end to. Maybe that's the ticket.
You could use some other line, but there'd be no gain. As it is, it's easy to cause things to tangle. :confused:

I added a short stainless cable to help keep a wet mainsheet from dragging on the water's surface. (It's lighter than a soggy mainsheet). A sail luffing will cause marks on the deck caused by a bouncing block.

The bowline will last all season, and the next time you're on the water, the knot will contact a different place on the mainsheet.

Keeping it simple is better. :cool:

Fish76 - when you switch from the 3 loop to the 2 loop only undo one screw on each loop of the bride. If you undo both the wood block may drop off and yours has wood blocks.

Fish76 - when you switch from the 3 loop to the 2 loop only undo one screw on each loop of the bride. If you undo both the wood block may drop off and yours has wood blocks.
Yes, thanks. I had a bridle mount rip out of the boat once in a high wind situation. I installed two 6" ports and put in new blocks under the deck when installing the new hardware, so I'm covered on that front, lol.

:cool:You could use some other line, but there'd be no gain. As it is, it's easy to cause things to tangle. :confused:

I added a short stainless cable to help keep a wet mainsheet from dragging on the water's surface. (It's lighter than a soggy mainsheet). A sail luffing will cause marks on the deck caused by a bouncing block.

The bowline will last all season, and the next time you're on the water, the knot will contact a different place on the mainsheet.

Keeping it simple is better. :cool:
I'm not quite picturing what you're recommending here, but I do like the caution on the block banging up the deck. So you're putting a short length of cable at the end of the mainsheet and attaching that to the bridle - how? Probably a dumb question, but just to make sure... tx!

I'm not quite picturing what you're recommending here, but I do like the caution on the block banging up the deck. So you're putting a short length of cable at the end of the mainsheet and attaching that to the bridle - how? Probably a dumb question, but just to make sure... tx!
I just attach the main sheet directly to the 2-loop dyneema bridle. I use a bowline knot for that. I got rid of the brass clip as it is just another piece of metal to scratch up the deck and is functionally the same as the bowline knot.

Reactions: tag

Back