Bridle blocks

The wood backing blocks for the bridle dropped off when I removed the screws and are now lost someplace in the hull. I want to replace the wood with aluminum plates, does anyone know the dimensions of the plates that are currently supplied with new boats? Also, are the blocks threaded or do they through bolt them and use self locking nuts?

Brad,
I had a similar problem. Hopefully you have a port (5" will work, 6" is better) already installed in the rear location near the rudder. To access the bridle eye blocks, you will have to remove some foam flotation. I used a sheetrock saw, but a serratted knife will also work. I cut the foam in a bit of a wedge shape to make removal easier. After repairing/replaceing your blocks, a bit of "foam in a can" will secure the foam back inplace. My wood blocks were still in decent shape, so I epoxied them back in place, used some "handi-man marine" brand #10 Stainless Steel Oval Head Bolts, about 1-1/2' long, with SS Washers and SS Nylock Nuts to throughbolt the eyes in place. You may have to drill out the screw holes in the eyes slightly. Your method of replaceing the wood blocks with aluminum plates should also work as well.

John,

I do have a 6" port for access. At this time I am in the middle of re-gelcoating the deck on this boat. I have removed all the hardware, including the ports and the deck is ready for the gelcoat to be sprayed.

I believe the current productions sunfish has aluminum backing plates instead of the wood blocks. I hope someone can give me the dimensions so that I can make some, or maybe someone knows the dimensions of the wood blocks?

Thanks,
Brad

Can't you just flip the boat over and recover the original wood block? Maybe jiggle the boat around a bit? It won't take but a few inches of aluminum maybe an inch or 2 longer than the fitting to properly back the screws. Tapping is OK but through bolting would probably be the way to go for ultimate pull out resistance.

good luck gel coating, let us know how it turns out. Is this boat going to NA's???

Brad,
Since the old blocks are loose and you have to cut and replace the foam to get them out anyway, go ahead and cut the foam out (mark the pieces), remove the old blocks, measure them and make new ones, either wood or aluminum, while the deck is being sprayed. When that is done, install your new backing blocks with some epoxy and (I agree with Tim here) through bolt them, resecure the foam pieces and you are done. Leave the port hardware off until you are done inside (gives you a little more room to work in). Good Luck.

Tim/John,

The blocks are lost deep in the hull. The process of flipping the hull and placing it on saw horses to be sanded has them wedged someplace out of reach. I have gone as far as to stand the boat up on the stern with no luck.

In the meantime I have cut the foam blocks (drywall saw is what I used) and cleaned the mounting area. Right now I am just trying to figure out what size to make the new backing plates.

As to the question of the NA's, I am a recreational sailor so unless chance brings us to the same lake we (the boat and I) won’t see you there. You are always welcome to join me on Badin Lake in NC. You won't find a place with fewer power boats and more wild life. It's something else to see an Eagle hit the water and fly off with lunch!

Back