Bridge Clearance

The smart--- response is that the Sunfish will but the rig might not. With the sail fully hoisted the top of the gaff is, I believe, well above 10'. With the sail down, but the mast up, I am pretty sure that the mast will be less than 10' off the water. Hoist the sail, turn the boat on its side and tape measure it. Also, if you sail in tidal water, remember that the bridge clearance will change at high and low tide.

Alan Glos

I used to have to sail under a bridge when I first started sailing a Sunfish about 29 years ago. I would get a good start, lower the rig to the top of the mast and heel it over to just clear the bridge. After I cleared it I would raise everything back up until it was time to head home. After my father saw me do this, he started taking me to a different launch site BELOW the bridge. If it helps, I think the mast is 10' long.

Scott

per rules spec, the mast is 10'1/4" long =/- 1/4". With the top spar up, total height is about 15', give or take, depending on where the halyard is attached. A tape measure is always helpful.

Back