Break in/ things to know about a new sunfish

"Is getting back to shallow water alongside a viable option?"

Yes, get the sheet, hang on to the bridle or rudder and steer to shore. I read a report of how a gent who had a heart issue sail himself back to shore that way.

"Is getting back to shallow water alongside a viable option?"

Yes, get the sheet, hang on to the bridle or rudder and steer to shore. I read a report of how a gent who had a heart issue sail himself back to shore that way.

I taught myself to sail this way on the Oldfish in Wisconsin. It's a lot of fun, actually. I'm looking forward to being there in another month!

What length should the hiking strap in a new sunfish be? I ordered a Laser/Zuma hiking strap for my Zuma and was surprised to find it exactly the same legnth as my sunfish strap. The Laser strap is the advertised 32 inches, but the sunfish strap is advertised as 28-29 depending where you look. Does my sunfish have the wrong strap?

Thanks for this info LVW. I wish I had done this to my 2018, as it has started to develop a few spider-cracks. It's now on my list!
I sailed yesterday in a different late-70s Sunfish. (Than my ex-racer). It has developed spider-cracks all around the cockpit, but they are located where the cockpit edges meet the underside support.

So, I have to amend the suggestion to "reinforce the underside of the cockpit--using four-inch tape".

Since the affected area is about five inches wide, it will take two layers and two widths of overlapping 4-inch tape to assure a Sunfish will endure 60 years without spider-cracks encircling the cockpit.

Back