Brass Bailer Cap for Sunfish

Keith Friend

Hi,

My Sunfish had a brass bailer cap. It was threaded with holes in the side to allow the water to drain out. Well, I have lost my cap and am looking or order a new one. All I'm finding are plastic ones that look nothing like my current (lost) cap. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement metal cap for my bailer?

Keith Friend
[email protected]

I think you will have to find a used one. Those metal ones were replaced by plastic ones in the mid-70s, and sometime in the intervening 35-plus years the manufacturer stopped supplying metal replacements. Someone is likely to respond to you on here who has one for sale.

Hi,

My Sunfish had a brass bailer cap. It was threaded with holes in the side to allow the water to drain out. Well, I have lost my cap and am looking or order a new one. All I'm finding are plastic ones that look nothing like my current (lost) cap. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement metal cap for my bailer?

Keith Friend
[email protected]
Keith, Just get a small rubber tapered plug from your local hardware store that fits the hole. If you get one with a hole in it you can attach a small line to it so you can pull the plug out easily when needed.

Hi,

Keith Friend
[email protected]
Hi Keith, Where are you located? I have one, shipping is probably as much as they are worth though.

Kevin

Gimmealaser and Paul Sheelen,

I am looking to buy several of these DePersia brand metal Sunfish cockpit bailer caps. E-mail me at: [email protected] with your asking price(s) and I will get back to you right away. A photo would be great but a good description of condition would also suffice.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Hi,

Keith Friend
[email protected]
Try messaging the forum-folks offering 3-D printing versions:

I think the reason for the outermost O-ring on plastic bailers was engineered cushioning to lessen drop, impact, and pressure breakages.

While corrosion definitely makes metal De Persia bailers into "one-piece" units, patience and maybe months of PB Blaster soakings should loosen it up. Add the occasional tap with a "tack" hammer. (NOT an "attack" hammer). :eek:

Total removal from the hull requires the same Zen. (And an 1-1\2" socket--same as household water heater element socket--or 38mm).
;)

Back