Brand new

billboats

Hello, I'm the new guy. Just bought a 1986 14.2, hull # 1220. First time sailor, big boats. Been sailing a 1 meter RC soling for 4 years but it's been years since I was on a real sailboat.
So... lots of questions. Here's the first one:Learning how to step the mast, boat is trailered. I'm single handed, so I'm looking for an easy way to pull the mast fully vertical while I connect the forestay. Any ideas or do I just muscle it together?
Now, more;
Should I disconnect the shrouds when lowering the mast?
Any way to keep the vang rove and still remove the boom?
Atatch the main foot to the boom before bending to the mast?
Also looking for anyone around the Twin Cities area with a C14.2.
Thanks for the help. You can answer here or email me of line.

Do not disconnect the shrouds. To step the mast, climb up in the boat on the trailer, have the mast step bolt and wing nut unthreaded and next to the step.
Have the forestay pin and ring ding appart and on the foredeck near the bow. Lift the mast whlie standing in the boat forward over the front of the centerboard, lift the mast just to the side of the boat with the mast butt now on the ground. With the mast in the upright position lift it up and place the butt in the mast step, line it up and place the bolt through the mast and step, once complete, lean against the mast with your shoulder, grab the fore stay and apple pressure toward the bow on the forestay. While doing that, step on to the foredeck and pin the forestay to the deck with the pin and ring ding. When complete , go back and thread the wingnut to the mast bolt. The mast should weigh less than 30 pounds. Its easier to put up and take down than it is to explain how to.

Do attach the main foot and secure the outhaul before you hoist the main.
Attach the vang to the mast after the main is all the way up. I'm in San Diego so sorry I can't help locally. Good Luck:)

clarify pls

Thanks for the details. Do you mean to actuly place the mast on the ground next to the trailer and lift straight up, or on the deck forward of the keel box? I'm not clear. Otherwise thanks for the help.

I attach the main halyard to the mast crutch on the front of the boat trailer. Then get up in the boat and lift the mast up a little to get it started then use the hayard to pull it upright and cleat it in position while I hook up the fore stay/jib furler.

I could never lift it from the ground and control it. Stepping the mast is much safter. Here's how I do it. I have a crutch that fits in the rudder pins (although I suppose you could lay the mast onto the transom as well). And I have a small pulley mounted on the trailor just above the winch.

Do not disconnect the shrouds. Cleat one end of the halyard, and attach a second line to the other end of the halyard. Run that line through the pulley and back into the boat where you can easily reach it.

Get in the boat. Slide the mast back, resting on the crutch or the transom (I'm not exactly sure if the transom provide sufficient clearance as I have not actually tried it) until the bottom of the mast is aligned with the mast step. Put the pin in the mast step and tighten up the boat.

Walt towards the rear of the boat (since you are on a trialor, don't walk too far back), lift up the mast, hoist it over your head, and walk towards the front. This is called "stepping the mast". As you walk forward, the shrouds natually hold the mast from swaying side to side and the foot of the mast is secure and pivots on the pin.

Once the mast is upright, hold it with one hand and reach for the line mentioned above. Pull this line taught and then you can let go of the mast and the halyard acts as a temporary forestay. Pull it a bit tigher and the mast will rake forward just enough so the forestay can easily be attached without any tension required. Then cleat this line somewhere in the boat.

Get out of the boat, walt to the bow, and attach the forestay.

This method is simple, easy, and does not require much strenght at all.

Paul,
Thanks for the tips. This sounds like a good way to do it. The transom will hold the mast, but you have to lift the mast to clear the spreaders when walking it back to fit the step.
Can I install a cleat on the deck to make this line fast?
Now, I can work on my fear of capsizing!!

Back