Boy Scout Sailing Merit Badge

squareknot

Ahoy,
I'm sorry I couldn't resist. Please forgive me. I will be good, I promise.

OK, to my purpose for visiting your forum. I will be teaching the sailing merit badge, at my local Boy Scout Summer camp in June. I have sailed a Sunfish before but it has been allot of years. I went yesterday and visited camp and looked at my vessel. This sunfish has been used allot of years, I suspect that she was a donation to the Boy Scouts by a family that had many years of enjoyment and not a new purchase by the Scouts. It also appears that she has seen a good bit of abuse or very ruff service. In any event this is the hand I have been dealt. She needs some work, I have surveyed the damage and made my list and this is where you the collective come in. I wish to solicit your help in addressing my questions as to my approach to making repairs and replacing the rigging.

The hull has damage and I have already made repairs with fiberglass patches as needed. The deck has damage as well, but I have not made repairs as yet, I wish to get your opinion. The coaming on the deck is gone. So do I replace it or patch the holes wear the coaming once resided? I need to do something or water will get into the hull. I guess the real question is, does the coaming serve a functional purpose or is it just cosmetic? I understand it is designed to divert water away from the cockpit as it comes over the bow, but does it really work?

Next question, Rigging and hardware. I am missing several items, can I go to a hardware store and pick them up, or do I need to get Sunfish specific rigging? If I can purchase my rope from a hardware store, I need help in determining the diameter and length. Here is a list of what I need: Bow Handle, Hiking Strap, ratchet block, shackle pin and ring, outhaul line, cunningham line, mainsheet and snap shackle, (bungee line, retainer line, daggerboard handle line and brummel hooks)

Thank you in advance, and remember a Scout is cheap, oops, I mean thrifty.

Ahoy,
I'm sorry I couldn't resist. Please forgive me. I will be good, I promise.

OK, to my purpose for visiting your forum. I will be teaching the sailing merit badge, at my local Boy Scout Summer camp in June. I have sailed a Sunfish before but it has been allot of years. I went yesterday and visited camp and looked at my vessel. This sunfish has been used allot of years, I suspect that she was a donation to the Boy Scouts by a family that had many years of enjoyment and not a new purchase by the Scouts. It also appears that she has seen a good bit of abuse or very ruff service. In any event this is the hand I have been dealt. She needs some work, I have surveyed the damage and made my list and this is where you the collective come in. I wish to solicit your help in addressing my questions as to my approach to making repairs and replacing the rigging.

The hull has damage and I have already made repairs with fiberglass patches as needed. The deck has damage as well, but I have not made repairs as yet, I wish to get your opinion. The coaming on the deck is gone. So do I replace it or patch the holes wear the coaming once resided? I need to do something or water will get into the hull. I guess the real question is, does the coaming serve a functional purpose or is it just cosmetic? I understand it is designed to divert water away from the cockpit as it comes over the bow, but does it really work?

Next question, Rigging and hardware. I am missing several items, can I go to a hardware store and pick them up, or do I need to get Sunfish specific rigging? If I can purchase my rope from a hardware store, I need help in determining the diameter and length. Here is a list of what I need: Bow Handle, Hiking Strap, ratchet block, shackle pin and ring, outhaul line, cunningham line, mainsheet and snap shackle, (bungee line, retainer line, daggerboard handle line and brummel hooks)

Thank you in advance, and remember a Scout is cheap, oops, I mean thrifty.

The coaming works especially in rougher weather or when there are waves, and if you are really sailing it to the limits. If sailing is to take place in calm, protected waters, then you could really do without it, IMHO. Now cosmetically speaking it will not look great but you know what they say about beauty.;)

As far as picking up parts from your hardware store, hey, is your Sunfish! Of course original is always preferred, but if this is going to be a beater boat for the summer, and your intentions are to keep it that way you could use "after-market" parts. Now, keep in mind that if you decide to do so most of this parts will not fit perfectly, hence the very good probability of you ending up doing more work (and maybe cost) in order to make them fit right. A good example would be my SF's bowhandle. I decided to install the hardware 5 dollar kind instead of the 25 original. Since I was doing a full repair or the hull including painting, this was a pretty good deal. But, if I just wanted to use the handle from the Depot without patching the old holes, fairing, making sure the backplate was in place for the new screws, painting...you get the picture.

Good luck in your project and I'm pretty sure someone will chime in pretty soon.

Ahoy,
Bow Handle, Hiking Strap, ratchet block, shackle pin and ring, outhaul line, cunningham line, mainsheet and snap shackle, (bungee line, retainer line, daggerboard handle line and brummel hooks)

Fortunately I have always had plenty of money for only the best equipment on Stars and Stripes. But I understand your plight, and have some comments:
- Bow handle - previous writer had good thoughts
- Hiking Strap - you don't need it. They have only come from the factory with one for maybe 20 years. It will just get in the way for your purposes.
- Ratchet - can skip it too, but if you want one, the hardware store will not have it! This is a marine-only item. You could save money by getting a free-running block for the deck, or if the boat has the "hook" at the front of the cockpit, just use the hook.
- Mainsheet - marine line is better, but 3/8" inch nylon or somesuch will do for your purposes. You don't need a snap shackle - just tie the sheet to the bridle. Your scouts can learn to either tie a bowline or figure 8 to secure it.
- You do not need a daggerboard handle, but a brass hardware store one would work. Bungee from the hardware store is fine. The hooks on the end should be sufficient. No brummels needed.
- Nylon 1/8 inch line is fine for the outhauls.

Key to buying hardware is get stuff that does not rust! Stainless is best, but brass will do.

Perhaps one of your students will follow in my footsteps to the America's Cup!!

Dennis

The coaming on the deck is gone. So…, does the coaming serve a functional purpose or is it just cosmetic? I understand it is designed to divert water away from the cockpit as it comes over the bow, but does it really work?

Does it work … very well.
Do you absolutely need one, no … it’s a convenience.
. . . but it’s right up there with car windshields as an appreciated nicety.

Sail slow and avoid waves and you’ll never miss it. ;)

Next question, Rigging and hardware. I am missing several items, can I go to a hardware store and pick them up, or do I need to get Sunfish specific rigging? If I can purchase my rope from a hardware store, I need help in determining the diameter and length.

Here is a list of what I need:

Bow Handle …. Sunfish dealer or used parts market item. Check the For Sale ads here.
Hiking Strap …. Owner add-on – Sunfish dealer or make your own from webbing strap.
ratchet block, shackle pin and ring …. any sailboat shop or used parts market item.
outhaul line …. Owner add-on – see line guide**
cunningham line …. Owner add-on – see line guide **
mainsheet …. Any sailboat shop - see line guide **
[Mainsheet] snap shackle …. Owner add-on – any sailboat shop ... or hardware store ... a simple bowline knot works too.
bungee line, retainer line …. Owner add-on – any bungee you like **
daggerboard handle line …. Owner add-on – any line you like
brummel hooks …. Owner add-on – Any sailboat shop

** Sunfish Line Guide (line lengths and diameters are now incorporated in the parts diagram instead of a stand-alone list)
http://na.laserperformance.com/images/stories/pdfs/sunfish/sunfishparts.pdf

You can use any line type you like. (I advise against that yellow poly line made from recycled chew toys). The original Sunfish used three twist cotton, today high-tech, low stretch, no-water retention, slick running line is popular. In between is double braid polyester. Steer clear of nylon ... the sun eats it, and cotton ... everything else eats it. Hardware store rope works, but it's not as strong, it's loosely braided, and feels like a twist of wet diaper by the end of the day. But for about the same price you can have standard Regatta braid polyester designed for boating.

Sunfish Line Guide (line lengths and diameters are now incorporated in the parts diagram instead of a stand-alone list)

Oops..., my error :eek:

They moved the line guide to the last page of the parts locator diagrams.

Sunfish Line Guide

http://na.laserperformance.com/image...nfishparts.pdf

4633927901_e28ab24938_o.jpg

Hardware store stainless steel comes in different qualities so I use rare earth magnet to determine quality. Non magnetic has the best corrosion resistance and is the best choice especially for salt water boats.
You might post a local want add for Sunfish parts or boat needed and the Boy Scouts might be able to offer a tax receipt for the donation.
><>Don<><

Back